Thursday, June 13, 2013

Books That Left Me Thinking

Do you ever come across a book that just makes you think? Have you ever finished a book, and just sort of sat there feeling a little different than you were before you started iteven if only for a little while? If not those, how about this: has any book left you in tears or your heart hurting?

I love it when a book can tug at me and leave me speechless. I love it when a book leaves me trying to fully process everything I had just read, and trying to come up with an exact reason why it was so great. 

Here are eight books that have done just that for me:

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

This book made my heart hurt, but it also made me laugh over and over again. I don't think I need to explain why it made me cry, or why it made me for hours after I read it.

Quote:

“Some people don't understand the promises they're making when they make them," I said.
"Right, of course. But you keep the promise anyway. That's what love is. Love is keeping the promise anyway.”




The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

I read this for my sophomore Honors English class, and I am so glad that we spent a lot of time going over this book. It's full of imagery, metaphors, personification, symbols, foreshadowing, and meaning. There's so much to the book, and there's so many ways to interpret it's purpose. 

Quote: 

“I wanted to tell the book thief many things, about beauty and brutality. But what could I tell her about those things that she didn't already know? I wanted to explain that I am constantly overestimating and underestimating the human race-that rarely do I ever simply estimate it. I wanted to ask her how the same thing could be so ugly and so glorious, and its words and stories so damning and brilliant.”


I am the Messenger by Markus Zusak

Let's just say that Zusak is an amazing author. He's one of my favorites. I'm not sure if this book made me cry necessarily, but it sure left me thinking about it. 

What makes me really sad is how I lent this book to someone, and I never got it back. Now I don't have a copy of the book right now. I really wish I had one right now. 

Quote:

“If a guy like you can stand up and do what you did, then maybe everyone can. Maybe everyone can live beyond what they're capable of. ”



Dreamland by Sarah Dessen

This is one the first books that I read that contained as serious of an issue as an abusive relationship. It was one of the first books that really made me cry, so it holds a special spot in my heart. I love reading books like with serious topics because they really get to methey make me thinkand this is one of the books that started my interest in those kinds of books. 

Quote: 

“I was worn out, broken: He had taken almost everything. But he'd been all I'd had, all this time. And when the police led him away, I pulled out of the hands of all these loved one, sobbing, screaming, everything hurting, to try and make him stay.” (That is the part that make cry a little each and every time I read the book.)


Hopeless by Colleen Hoover

Oh, man. This one was thought provoking. It had such a heartbreaking story to it, and it wasn't an easy read. It's another one with a really tough topic. There was a great romance in it, but how the main character learned and dealt with her past was what was truly great about the book.

Quote:

“Not everyone gets a happily every after. Life is real and sometimes it's ugly and you just have to learn how to cope.”



Driven by Lisa Nowak

This is one of least heard of books I've ever read. There are 23 ratings on Goodreads for it right now, and the only reason I ever even heard of it was because I won it in a giveaway. I received the first two books in the series (which I still haven't read yet), and I received the third one the day it released. I immediately read it because it sounded so interesting, and when I finished it, I put it on my favorites shelf right away. I might be the only person that considers this book as a favorite. It's one of the only books I've read that tackles teen homelessness and I am so glad I read it. There's something special about this book; it's one of those that I simply just click with. 

Sadly, I have no quote to go with this book. 



This is Not a Test by Courtney Summers

This book has zombies in it, but it's not really about the zombie apocalypseit's about depression and the will to live. After I finished itand read the the last few pages againI just sat there pondering over its meaning. The end was open-ended, but also thought-provoking and absolutely perfect. I gave this book four stars, but it still made its impact on me. 

By the way, Cracked Up to Be by this author is also an amazing book. 

Quote: 

“I don't know how I'm going to do this, move through the hours like someone who wants to still be breathing when I had so firmly made up my mind to stop.”


Going Under by S. Walden

If you were ever wondering what made me write this post in the first place, this book is why. I just finished it today, and I'm still feeling the effects of it. It's another one with a serious topic, and it made me cry. I'm in the process of putting together my review for it, and I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to say. There are so many thoughts running through my head right now that it's hard to come up with exactly what I want to say yet. 

Quote:

“I’m talking about the kind of indignity that changes you as a person, makes you withdraw, hide from the world because suddenly it’s turned into something frightening—full of dark corners and monsters.”


All of the above books (as well as a lot more that I didn't mention) left me thinking about them hours or even days after I read them. Each of them is special to me in its special way because of that, and most of them made me cry either a little or a lot (TFIOS). 

How about you. What books have left you thinking about it and why?




1 comment:

  1. Hey, Nice Blog..!! Saw you on goodreads.com

    I've clicked to 'join this site' and follow you. Would really appreciate a click follow back @

    http://supernova125.blogspot.co.uk/

    Many thanks and all the best. Look forward to reading.

    x_ROSH125_x

    ReplyDelete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.