Friday, June 14, 2013

Feature and Follow Friday (1)


This is a weekly event hosted by Parajunkee and Alison Can Read that is meant to be a way for bloggers to increase followers and make friends. 

This is my first time participating in this, and I'm looking forward to it!

This weeks Question:
Q: Activity: Spine Poetry. Create a line of poetry with your book spines (take a picture). Not feeling creative? Tell us about your favorite poem.

Umm . . . well you should know something about me. I'm not very creative, and especially not with poetry. Because of that, I'll just share an excerpt from my favorite poem (which is actually one of the only poems I am familiar with). It's one that was focused on in my eighth grade English class, so I kind of got to dissect each part and figure about its meaning. What I like most about it, though, is how well it rhymes. It's very catchy.


The Raven by Edgar Allan Poe

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
`'Tis some visitor,' I muttered, `tapping at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'

Ah, distinctly I remember it was in the bleak December,
And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.
Eagerly I wished the morrow; - vainly I had sought to borrow
From my books surcease of sorrow - sorrow for the lost Lenore -
For the rare and radiant maiden whom the angels named Lenore -
Nameless here for evermore.

And the silken sad uncertain rustling of each purple curtain
Thrilled me - filled me with fantastic terrors never felt before;
So that now, to still the beating of my heart, I stood repeating
`'Tis some visitor entreating entrance at my chamber door -
Some late visitor entreating entrance at my chamber door; -
This it is, and nothing more,'

Continue reading here

Thank you for dropping by! What do you think of The Raven? What is your favorite poem?

39 comments:

  1. Poe is amazing, great choice!
    Old follower.

    My FF:
    http://evelinesbooks.blogspot.nl/2013/06/feature-and-follow-friday-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never read any Poe before - very eerie and gothic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly why I like it. Thanks for dropping by.

      Delete
  3. I love Poe, and this is one of his most haunting and well known poems. The imagery is amazing and it feels very surreal. Great choice for a first FF post! Welcome to the hop, I guess (I'm still pretty new to the hop too) and to blogging in general. I'm really trying to make friends with other bloggers since I'm really REALLY shy on the internet and stuff. So..yeah. :D

    Here's the link to my FF post (this is my 5th one): http://everyone-deserves-tea.blogspot.sg/2013/06/feature-and-follow-friday-5.html

    Jeanne @ Everyone Deserves Books :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was actually one of the only poetry books I've ever purchased. I went through a Poe phase in high school. Excellent choice! Thank you so much for stopping by my FF. New Follower :D Bloglovin and GFC Jaclyn @ JC's Book Haven.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do like The Raven. My favorite is The Road Not Taken by Frost with Fog by Sandburg a close second. New GFC follower. My FF
    P.S. check out my poetry on the I Appreciate Critique forum under Poetry on GoodReads and let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by! I'll be sure to check out your poetry.

      Delete
  6. I've never read a poem by Edgar Allen Poe before (um, oops?) but that excerpt is wonderful. I'll definitely have to find more of his work!

    Following via Bloglovin'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope that you like Poe's other works.

      Thanks for following. :)

      Delete
  7. Love Poe! Hopping through following back via GFC.

    ReplyDelete
  8. can never go wrong with poe!

    New follower via bloglovin!

    Here's My FF

    Amber @Paradise of Pages

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahhh... Edgar Allen Poe :) Nice!

    Thanks for following me! Following you back via GFC and Bloglovin

    -J
    http://reviewingromance.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Raven is one of my all-time favorites too!

    I'm a new follower via BlogLovin'!

    You can find my poem here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is my favorite poem out of all his poems. Have you seen the movie called The Raven? It's really good and funny!

    Leigh
    Little Book Star

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice poem!

    Thanks for stopping by my FF. :)
    I'm following you back.

    Marilyn @ Marilyn's Mystery Blog

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi I'm new to blogging and following thru from Parajunkie's follow friday.
    You can follow me back at "SnowRavyn's Reviews"

    ReplyDelete
  14. New follower, thanks for dropping by and for sharing your fave poem

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is one of my all time favorite poems too. Great choice! Thanks for visiting my FF. New follower.

    LisaILJ @ I’ll Tumble for YA

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the classics, Poe is one of my favorites :)
    That poem is awesome, fantastic FF!

    Hope your enjoying your weekend!

    New Bloglovin' Follower.

    My FF HERE.

    -Seirra @ Dear, Restless Reader

    ReplyDelete
  17. I see that this is your first time participating as well!

    Thanks for sharing your favorite poem. :) And thanks for stopping by!

    Followed back via Bloglovin.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for stopping by my FF! I'm following you back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Poe has such a distinctive way of writing, and I've always enjoyed The Raven, especially around Halloween. :)
    Thanks so much for stopping by My FF @ Donnie Darko Girl :D I'm following back by GFC, email, and Bloglovin!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Poe is here again! I actually think every poem of Poe's is really great. Thanks for dropping by my FF!

    Followed back via bloglovin!
    Nina @ The Bookish Confections

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love Poe! Anything Poe :) New follower :)

    Chelsey@Charming Chelsey’s

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi! Thanks for stopping by! Following back :)

    Kelly @ Dandelion Dreams

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great poem. I like The Lake by Poe. I am following you back!

    ReplyDelete
  24. The Raven is one of my favourites. I used to be able to recite it but I can't remember most of it anymore. Excellent choice.
    One of my favourites is 'Old Father William' by Lewis Carroll, totally silly but fun.

    Thanks for visiting my blog. Have a fab weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  25. That sounds really sad :( But it's beautiful still. :)

    Thanks for stopping by my FF!
    <3
    Emily @ FlutterealFlight

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love Poe. The Raven is such a fabulous poem. My other favorite by him is Dream Within A Dream.

    New Blovglovin' follower :)
    My FF

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great minds think alike!!

    Thanks for stopping by mine!
    New Follower via feedly
    Becky @ Book Bite Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love 'The Raven'. Awesome choice. GFC and Twitter follower :) Here is my FF.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love Poe, nice choice. I'm a new GFC and bloglovin follower.

    Meredith
    Meredith’s Musings

    ReplyDelete
  30. Nice choice of poem - Poe's work is so eerie, I always get chills reading his stuff!

    Thanks for stopping by & following - following back :)

    Amy @ The Reading Realm

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi I'm new to blogging and following thru from Parajunkie's follow friday.

    You can follow me back at "SnowRavyn's Reviews"

    ReplyDelete
  32. Nice choice!!! Thanks for stopping by my blog and I follow back via bloglovin =)

    Amie @Magic of Words

    ReplyDelete
  33. Edgar Allen Poe is always a good pick! I'm a new follower, I hope you can follow back! Check out my FF
    Love,
    Elizabeth @ Stuffed Shelves

    ReplyDelete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.