Monday, June 17, 2013

First Impressions are Everything ~ The 5th Wave, Pity Isn't an Option, and Bleeding Violet

Here's what First Impressions is:

Every Monday, I'm going to choose three books to quote either the first sentence or the first paragraph from. Then, I'm going to write about my first impressions based on those first words.The books I will post about will be a random one on my to-read list, one that I intend to read soon, and one that I have read.

Now, here is my second set of First Impressions: 

This week, I've decided to give links to the books on Goodreads in case you would like to check them out. 

I used the "Look Inside" feature for the ebooks of the first two books, and I took the quote of the third from my hardcover copy. 

#1 (from my to-read shelf)


I will include two sentences: the first from the "Intrusion: 1995" (a) and the first from Chapter 1 (b).

First sentence (a): "There will be no awakening."

First sentence (b): "Aliens are stupid."

First Impression? 
I have a feeling that this book is funny. Sentence "a" feels so ominous and serious, yet sentence "b" is totally not. My best guess is that the person in present day is going to be rudely awakened by some big, serious, and dangerous event. It seems that there will be a slight lighthearted tone in the book, but there will be a lot of danger. From both of those first sentences, the book seems a whole lot more interesting to me than before. 

#2 (I will be reading soon)


I have been wanting to read this one for awhile. It doesn't have very many ratings on Goodreads right now, but all of them are either four or five stars. 

First paragraph:
"Sometimes, I just want it to stop. I want the door to stop. I want the bell to stop. I want the sun to stop and the moon to stop and my blood and all of it to just stop stop stop. And as the bell rings again and I cringe, hyperaware of where I am and annoyed at the constant reminder of it as patients pour continuously in and out the door, I will myself to stop thinking about it. To stop comparing the people outside this small horrible building to the ones like me, stuck inside."

First impression?
Wow, that sounds really interesting. The guy (as I know because I've read the book description) sounds absolutely miserable. It's a strong start. I hope, by the end of the book, his state mind changes to a more positive one. 

#3 (I have read)


I gave this book four stars on Goodreads, but it's still on my favorites list. It's so weird, and I love weird. 

First paragraph:
"The truck driver let me off on Lamartine, on the odd side of the street. I felt odd too, standing in the town where my mother lived. For the first seven years of my life, we hadn't even lived on the same continent, and now she waited only a few houses away."

First impression?
The first paragraph is sort of interesting. I would wonder why the main character was just dropped off near her mom's house, and why the two had lived on different continents. However, since I've read the book, I don't think that first paragraph gives enough of a hint to the craziness to come. It seems a little bit too normal.

That's it for this week! 

Out of all of the first sentences/paragraphs, my favorite would have to be from The 5th Wave. I just love how different those two parts are. 

How about you? What first impressions have the above books left on you? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.