Monday, June 10, 2013

First Impressions are Everything ~ Withering Tights, Apollyon, and Storm

It's Monday. Do you know what that means? My week has just begun, and I feel like gathering some first impressions of how it will be. This is something that I want to do every single week on here, and I hope it goes over well.

Here's what will happen: 

Every Monday, I'm going to choose three books to quote either the first sentence or the first paragraph from. Then, I'm going to write about my first impressions based on those first words.The books I will post about will be a random one on my to-read list, one that I intend to read soon, and one that I have read. 

Now, it's time for my first First Impressions. 

#1 (from my to-read list)
Withering Tights by Louise Rennison (Misadventures of Tallulah Casey #1)

First paragraph:
"Wow. This is it. This is me growing up. On my own, going to Performing Arts College. This is good-bye, Tallulah, you long, gangly thing, and hellooooo, Lullah, star of stage and . . . owwwwooo. Ow and ow."

First impression?
Hahaha. I can clearly see that the book is supposed to be a barrel of laughs (I know this partly because I've read one of Rennison's other books. I like how it's set up as a grand speech in the beginning, but it's interrupted by something, like a stubbed toe. However, the main character sounds slightly annoying. 

#2 (I'll be reading this soon)
Apollyon by Jennifer L. Armentrout (Covenant #4)

First paragraph: 
"My blood itched for a fight. Muscles screamed to engage. My thoughts were covered in a heady, amber haze of power. I was the Apollyon. I wielded control over the four elements, and the fifth and the most powerful—akasha. I fueled the God Killer. I was his power-up—the ace up his sleeve. I was the beginning and he was the end. And together, we were everything."

First impression?
Woah there. Alex is getting a little high on power here, and by "little," I actually mean a lot. It makes me very interested in how the book will continue on from here, and when Alex will snap out of that haze of overwhelming power. It makes me happy that I will be reading the book this month. :)

#3 (I read this recently)
Storm by Brigid Kemmerer (Elementals #1)

First paragraph/sentence:
"That self-defense class had been a waste of sixty bucks." 

First impression? 
When I first read this sentence, I was immediately intrigued. I'm not exactly sure why, but I just knew that the book would be really cool. I was right, and I when I finished the book, I gave it five stars. The book had a strong start, and therefore, it left me with a very good first impression. 

Based solely on the first paragraphs/sentences of each of the three books, which one leaves you with the best first impression?


2 comments:

  1. This is actually a really good idea, to do your first impressions on books you'll be reading. I really like it! I've read Apollyon, and based on the first few sentences, I would think that I'd like it. Too bad I didn't like it as much as I'd hoped..
    New follower via GFC!
    Summer @ MissFictional's World of YA Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. :)

      Sometimes, first impressiins can be misleading and other times they are spot on. I really hope I love Apollyon.

      Delete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.