Monday, June 24, 2013

First Impressions Are Everything ~ Scarlet, Shadowborn, and Under the Never Sky

Here's what First Impressions is:

Every Monday, I'm going to choose three books to quote either the first sentence or the first paragraph from. Then, I'm going to write about my first impressions based on those first words.The books I will post about will be a random one on my to-read list, one that I intend to read soon, and one that I have read.

Now, here is my third set of First Impressions: 

#1 (from my to-read shelf)

Scarlet by Marissa Meyer

Cinder was a pretty good book, and I'm looking forward to reading this one. It's on my kindle, but I'll probably not get to it for awhile.

First paragraph:

"Scarlet was descending toward the alley behind her portscreen chimed from the passenger seat, followed by an automated voice: 'Comm received for Mademoiselle Scarlet Benoit from the Toulouse Law Enforcement Department of Missing Persons.'"

First Impression?

Hmm. Well, mostly, I just have questions? Who is Scarlet? Who went missing? Why is Scarlet in an alley? Where in the world is she, and will she end up running into Cinder? 

#2 (I will be reading soon)

Shadowborn by Moira Katson

I received a copy of this to review, and as far as the reviews I've seen go, I'll probably enjoy it. 

First paragraph:

"I was an ice child, having the ill luck to be born early, in the deepest storms of the winter, when the drifts of snow can bury whole caravans without a trace, and the winds will cut a man open with slivers of ice. So they say, in any case, in the village in which I was born, the village huddled at the base of the mountain that houses the Winter Castle, the last outpost before the road winds west into Ismir."

First impression?

There seems to be very long sentences in the book. Hopefully, there will be some sentence length variety later on. There seems to be a fantasy quality to it, as well as a little bit of a violent one. 

#3 (I have read)

Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi

I really did enjoy reading this one, though it's not one of my favorite dystopias. 

First paragraph:

"They called the world beyond the walls of the Pod 'the Death Shop.' A million ways to die out there. Aria never thought she'd get so close."

First impression?

I like the dash of foreshadowing being used there. Sounds like Aria will be in danger pretty soon. Also, it seems that she'll become pretty familiar with that outside world. 

That's all my first impressions this week! Come back next Monday for three more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.