Friday, June 21, 2013

Review ~ The Kiss Instructor by V. Anton

Series and number: standalone
Words: 58,155 (approximate)
Edition: Smashwords mobi
Published: first published November 19th 2012
Link to Goodreads page

Book description:

For Alana Summer, ballet dancer and magnet for awkward moments, life is far from simple. She struggles with an alcoholic father and an abused mother. She vents her frustration through dancing
and spending time with her two best friends: Chris and the hot looking Adin.

She has been secretly in love with Adin for as long as she can remember and is pretty sure he feels something for her. So she concocts a plan to make him confess his feelings for her. But when one of her biggest fears come true, she is forced to leave the ones that keep her sane. Choosing between her family and her heart, she has to make tough decisions, even when the one she loves the most, loves her back.

My review: 

Rating: 2 stars
Date read: June 20-21, 2013
Source: I received a copy from the author in return for an honest review

I'll just jump in and tell you what I liked and what I didn't like. 

This book had such a cute story to it. It had likable characters that I could easily form pictures of in my head from the descriptions given. I liked the heritage included and I loved how Alana had a passion for dancing. Most of all, I liked the potential to be a really great read. 

However, I didn't like it as much as most people seem to. I just felt like it wasn't executed as well as it could have been. I was often distracted by the way it was written. Choppy is the best way I can describe it. There were a lot of times where there just seemed to be too many short sentences stacked upon one another. For me, it didn't flow very well. 

Also, a lot of times, I felt disconnected from the story. That was probably because I felt like like most of the emotions the characters had were said (similar to saying "I am happy") more so than demonstrated. There was so many good things going on, yet I just couldn't connect to the book in the way that is needed to thoroughly enjoy it. 

Overall, I did enjoy the sweet and happy story, but it could have been written much better, and with a lot more depth in order to really tug at my heartstrings. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.