Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Review ~ What Kills me by Wynne Channing

This is a review that I wrote earlier this year. As time goes on, I will be transferring bunch of my Goodreads reviews onto here. 



Goodreads description:

The fight for survival begins.

An ancient prophecy warns of a girl destined to cause the extinction of the vampire race.

So when 17-year-old Axelia falls into a sacred well filled with blood and emerges a vampire, the immortal empire believes she is this legendary destroyer. Hunted by soldiers and mercenaries, Axelia and her reluctant ally, the vampire bladesmith Lucas, must battle to survive.

How will she convince the empire that she is just an innocent teenager-turned bloodsucker and not a creature of destruction? And if she cannot, can a vampire who is afraid of bugs summon the courage to fight a nation of immortals?

My review (originally posted on Goodreads):

Rating: 4 stars
Date read: March 26, 2013
Format: Kindle ebook
Where I got it: I bought it when it was on sale

First of all, I want to say how much I love the cover of this book. I absolutely love it. It's what got me interested in the book in the first place and just kept pulling my attention back to it again and again.

Now, to the actual book. It was very bloody. That was my first reaction to the book after reading the description and after reading it. It was a clever idea to have the main character, Axelia (awesome name which wasn't just there to be awesome. It actually had some backstory to it), fall into a sacred well filled with vampire blood only to climb out as a super strong, super important vampire. I also liked how some of the classic vampire traits were keptsun burns them to ashesbut there was its own unique twists to the vampire race.

I like how the Zee (Axelia's nickname) and Lucas traveled to different countries and through different methods. It wasn't repetitive, and wasn't boring. They were at a constant state of motion and danger, and it kept me interested.

One of my favorite things about this book is how Zee grew. She started out as a regular teen with no idea that vampires actually existed and ended up growing into a really strong character. That change didn't  happen at the drop of a hat, either. She went through confusion, fear, and tears to become stronger. Sure, she was kind of whiny and talkative at times, but that was what sets her apart from other characters and what really emphasizes how much she changed from the beginning to the end of the book.

I have no idea if this is supposed to have a sequel or not. It doesn't necessarily need one, but I would love to read more to Zee and Lucas's story.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.