Monday, July 15, 2013

First Impressions are Everything ~ The Book of Broken Hearts, Reason to Breathe, and Pushing the Limits

Here's what First Impressions is:

Every Monday, I'm going to choose three books to quote either the first sentence or the first paragraph from. Then, I'm going to write about my first impressions based on those first words.The books I will post about will be a random one on my to-read list, one that I intend to read soon, and one that I have read.

Now, here is this week's set of First Impressions: 

#1 (from my to-read shelf)


First paragraph:

"The law of probability dictates that with three older sisters, a girl shall inherit at least one pair of cute shorts that actually fit. Agreed?"

First Impression?

It sounds like a cute book featuring the baby of the family. She seems to have an unfortunate lack of clothes that she really likes to wear. Hmm . . . I wonder if she likes math (since she mentioned the law of probability).

#2 (I will be reading soon)

Reason to Breathe by Rebecca Donovan

This is the book I'm reading next, and I feel like I've been waiting forever to read it. It seems like the type of book that I just love.

First paragraph:

"Breathe. My eyes swelled as I swallowed against the lump in my throat. Frustrated with my weakness, I swiftly brushed away the tears that had forced their way down my cheeks with the back of my hand. I couldn't think of it anymore—I would explode."

First impression?

Oh, something really bad happened and now the main character is grieving. She might spend a lot of time in the book pushing away the thoughts of whatever event has happened. I know this will be an emotional book, so it's almost guaranteed I'll cry. 

#3 (I have read)

Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry

This was one of my favorite reads from last summer. 

First paragraph:

"'My father is a control freak, I hate my stepmother, my brother is dead and my mother has . . . well . . . issues. How do you think I'm doing?'"

First impression?

Well, she sounds miserable. Echo seems to have a little bit of an attitude (with good reason), and she sounds direct. 

That's all my first impressions this week! Come back next Monday for three more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.