Sunday, July 7, 2013

Reread and Review ~ Unwind by Neal Shusterman

I reread Unwind in July, but this is the first review I've written for it. 


Genre: YA dystopia & science fiction
Series and number: Unwind Dystology #1
Number of pages: 335
Edition: Hardcover
Published: Published November 6th 2007 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
Link to Goodreads page

Goodreads description:

Connor, Risa, and Lev are running for their lives.

The Second Civil War was fought over reproductive rights. The chilling resolution: Life is inviolable from the moment of conception until age thirteen. Between the ages of thirteen and eighteen, however, parents can have their child "unwound," whereby all of the child's organs are transplanted into different donors, so life doesn't technically end. Connor is too difficult for his parents to control. Risa, a ward of the state is not enough to be kept alive. And Lev is a tithe, a child conceived and raised to be unwound. Together, they may have a chance to escape and to survive.

My Review (orginally posted on Goodreads):

Rating: 4 stars
Last date read: June 23 to 27, 2013
Source: Bought

An attempt at summarizing . . . (I don't usually do this, but I had to for this review)

Risa, Conner, and Lev all have one thing in common: they are Unwinds. They are part of a few of many unwanted, rebellious, or religious teens that are sent off to the harvest camps in order to be unwound--taken apart piece by piece in order for one doctors to donate each and every part to someone else in need of it.

The three cross paths on their way to that dreaded destination—or anticipated one, for Lev, the tithe—and form connections with one another and other Unwinds in their desperate attempts to stay living in a complete undivided state.

I think I liked this book even better the first time around. This was probably one of the first dystopian novels I'd ever read, and it left me with a good impression of the genre.

This book is a shocking one. It features unwinding and storking, both of which are horrible. One is a process where a teen's life is taken away from him or her--well, they're still "alive, but in a "divided" state—without their permission. Their parents decide to unwind them. State Homes decide to have those that don't have enough potential unwinded to accommodate their tight budgets. Religious families donate teens as tithes—a decision made before that person was even able to make his or her own decisions.

Then there's storking. If a baby is born, but the mother doesn't want it, she can leave the baby on someone's doorstep. If she isn't caught, that family is responsible for that baby once they find it on their doorstep.

Both concepts are sickening and shocking ones, but that is what I like about dystopians like Unwind. It's like the author asked himself a bunch of "what-if" questions based on issues in society today and decided to develop a future where those what-ifs became realities. It's pretty cool when someone can develop really weird, really out-there concepts.

That was one of my favorite things about reading this book. I also really liked how there were three distinctly different main characters that were focused on for the majority of the book. They had different personalities and different histories, but they were also all the same when it came to how they wanted to keep their own lives.

Also, the ending was great. It was a perfect ending to this book, and as I wrote down in my notebook, it "made me feel all warm inside." It ended on a positive note that concluded the first installment of the series very well.

I really recommend this book. I really enjoyed reading it and I hope to read the sequel sometime.

Quote:





1 comment:

  1. I loved Unwind... such an interesting premise! I even cried once, which surprised me! The next in the series, UnWholly, introduces a new, very interesting character named Cam whom I love, and this fall the newest book (which was supposed to be the last but has now been divided into two books, instead), Unsouled, comes out! YAY! Hope you enjoy them all when you get around to reading them! (Oh and also there's an ebook that ties Unwind and UnWholly together--it's Levi's story picking up where Unwind ends!)

    ReplyDelete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.