Saturday, July 13, 2013

Review ~ Dare You To by Katie McGarry

Genre: YA contemporary romance
Series and number: Pushing the Limits #2
Number of pages: 480
Edition: kindle ebook
Link to Goodreads page

Goodreads description:

Ryan lowers his lips to my ear. "Dance with me, Beth."

"No." I whisper the reply. I hate him and I hate myself for wanting him to touch me again....

"I dare you..."


If anyone knew the truth about Beth Risk's home life, they'd send her mother to jail and seventeen-year-old Beth who knows where. So she protects her mom at all costs. Until the day her uncle swoops in and forces Beth to choose between her mom's freedom and her own happiness. That's how Beth finds herself living with an aunt who doesn't want her and going to a school that doesn't understand her. At all. Except for the one guy who shouldn't get her, but does....

Ryan Stone is the town golden boy, a popular baseball star jock-with secrets he can't tell anyone. Not even the friends he shares everything with, including the constant dares to do crazy things. The craziest? Asking out the Skater girl who couldn't be less interested in him.

But what begins as a dare becomes an intense attraction neither Ryan nor Beth expected. Suddenly, the boy with the flawless image risks his dreams-and his life-for the girl he loves, and the girl who won't let anyone get too close is daring herself to want it all....

My review:

Rating: 4.5 stars
Source: Bought

I have a soft spot for these types of books. Contemporary hate-then-love romance. Tough barriers to stand in the way of the couple’s way. Issues both have to deal with individually, yet draw support from each other. Alternating points of view. Drama. A little bit of bad language. Some harsh topics and elements. And lots of very sweet romance. I love it. It’s not often that I don’t.

Like most books with the above ingredients, I loved Dare You To’s romance and characters. I loved its inside jokes and strong friendships and relationships. One of my favorite things about this books was that Beth was the one with the darker side, instead of Ryan. A lot of times, it’s the girl who’s all innocent and perfect seeming, but the roles were reversed in this one.

There were some pretty awful parents in the book. Ryan’s father demanded his kids to live how he wanted them to. Ryan’s mother was obsessed with keeping the family’s reputation pristine and perfect. Beth’s mother was just a plain mess. All three were vital to the story because they were stunting Beth and Ryan’s realization of their true selves.

This book was about that: finding who you truly are. It was about carving out your own path instead of letting other people or unfortunate circumstances hold you back. It was also about love—not only that, but the trust that needs to accompany it to make it work.

Overall, I loved the book. It was exactly what I needed because I had been craving a sweet contemporary romance to pull me into it. I just wish it was more evened out. There was a section that I started wondering where Ryan’s friends had gone. Sometimes, I felt like his friends and a few other important characters were neglected while Ryan and Beth were sorting things out. I also wish Noah and Echo showed up more often, but that’s just because I absolutely love those two. However much they showed up, I still would've wanted more of them anyway.

This book didn't blow me away as much as Pushing the Limits, but it's pretty darn good. I’m really looking forward to the next installment of this series. I love how it shifts from one couple to a different one that has some sort of connection to the previous ones.

Quote:




3 comments:

  1. I've been seeing this book for a while now. Fingers crossed that I'll spot it in local bookstores!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked Dare You To as well! I hadn't read Pushing the Limits, so I was afraid I wouldn't understand some things, but I was fine. I have to agree that the parents were not the most supportive in this book, but I loved Scott. I didn't realise that Pushing the Limits had Noah and Echo in it, I thought it would be Lacey and Chris, so now I really want to read it! Brilliant review!
    Tilly @ Hardcore Heroines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. :)

      I liked Scott too, so I left him out of the whole parent portion of the review. He was the best out of them, and I didn't want to lump him in with the others.

      Delete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.