Thursday, July 25, 2013

Review ~ Destroy Me by Tahereh Mafi

Genre: YA dystopia/romance
Series and number: Shatter Me #1.5
Number of pages: 111
Edition: Kindle ebook
Link to Goodreads page

Goodreads description:

Perfect for the fans of Shatter Me who are desperately awaiting the release of Unravel Me, this novella-length digital original will bridge the gap between these two novels from the perspective of the villain we all love to hate, Warner, the ruthless leader of Sector 45.

In Tahereh Mafi’s Shatter Me, Juliette escaped from The Reestablishment by seducing Warner—and then putting a bullet in his shoulder. But as she’ll learn in Destroy Me, Warner is not that easy to get rid of. . .

Back at the base and recovering from his near-fatal wound, Warner must do everything in his power to keep his soldiers in check and suppress any mention of a rebellion in the sector. Still as obsessed with Juliette as ever, his first priority is to find her, bring her back, and dispose of Adam and Kenji, the two traitors who helped her escape. But when Warner’s father, The Supreme Commander of The Reestablishment, arrives to correct his son’s mistakes, it’s clear that he has much different plans for Juliette. Plans Warner simply cannot allow.

Set after Shatter Me and before its forthcoming sequel, Unravel Me, Destroy Me is a novella told from the perspective of Warner, the ruthless leader of Sector 45.

My review:


Rating: 5 stars
Date read: July 18, 2013
Source: Bought

It wasn't a surprise: I loved this book. I've read both Shatter Me and Unravel Me, and this series is now becoming one of my favorites. I just love the writing, the characters, and all of the elements of it.

It was so nice to read from Warner's perspective. Destroy Me gave insight to who this guy really was, and what his fears, quirks, and thoughts were. He became much more understandable, yet even more complex, than before. I could see the change that he was going through because of Juliette and her notebook. When he read her thoughts, cracks started forming in his tough exterior, and he started showing a more human side.

This book also gave more insight to Juliette. It wasn't set inside her head this time, but inside the head of the guy that was a bit obsessed with her (but not in a creepy way; it was more in a way that he needed to understand her). I got to see Juliette through someone else's eyes, and it was interesting to hear what he thought of her.

I don't usually read novellas. I didn't regret reading this one bit, though. I was able to read more of the series that I love more with each book I read, and was able to learn more about both Warner and Juliette. It was a quick read that I enjoyed every minute of.

A few random thoughts:

-I found it amusing that Warner was so clean and organized. I wasn't expecting it. It helped develop Warner's character.

-Juliette and Warner really were similar. Both of them were born and raised with the expectation to be monsters. The difference is, Juliette resisted as much as she could and Warner accepted it as the only way.  In Unravel Me (minor spoiler alert), Juliette started to accept her abilities (but still not use them for evil), and Warner started to break away from his acceptance. 

Quote:

2 comments:

  1. I read Shatter Me and enjoyed it, but just didn't have the enthusiasm to pick up the rest of the series. I think I might change my mind and start reading them again! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read Shatter Me and I'm dying to read Unravel me so I'm currently reading Destroy Me at the moment and I love it. Your right it is really weird seeing Juliette through someone else's eyes. I really like Warner and I think he's just a little misunderstood.

    ReplyDelete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.