Monday, July 15, 2013

Review ~ Falling for the Ghost of You by Nicole Christie

I really don't like the new cover of this book, so I'm using what the cover used to be when I bought it on Amazon. 

Genre: YA/NA contemporary romance
Series and number: standalone
Number of pages: 309
Edition: kindle ebook
Link to Goodreads page

Goodreads description:

Seventeen year old Violet Mercer returns home from her summer vacation in Hawaii to discover her boyfriend's cheating on her with a friend. As if that wasn't bad enough, her mother's marrying a man she just met.

Things take an awkward turn when Violet meets her rich new stepfather, and his gorgeous son--the hot guy whom she made a fool of herself in front of earlier that day! Zane O' Connor is sexy and charming, and way out of her league. He makes her forget her ex-boyfriend even existed. But there's no way she'd ever have a chance with him...right?

Through a strange turn of events, Violet finds herself living with Zane for a month. Somewhere between the fighting and flirting, they become friends. And it isn't long before that friendship blooms into something else...something more powerful than Violet anticipated.

But Zane is hiding something from her--something big enough to tear them apart if Violet ever discovered the truth about him. Her suspicions keep her from trusting him completely. She's been burned before--is she willing to take that risk again?

As she and Zane spend more time together, Violet realizes it's too late: she's fallen for the beautiful boy with the big secret. Will she get her heart broken twice in one year--or will her love survive the truth?

For readers seventeen and older due to sexual situations and language.

My review:

Rating: 4 stars
Date read: July 12 to 13, 2013
Source: Bought

I’m going to try to keep this short and sweet, like the book is.

Like I said, this story is a really sweet one. I was rooting for Violet and Zane the entire way and was pleased with how their journey progressed. Those two added to the cute and funny factor that made the book extremely easy to read, and quickly. There were, however, moments where I had to put the book down—not because of something bad, but because I literally had to roll over on my bed where I was reading to laugh. The embarrassing moments Violet had to endure! They were hilarious.

Now, for the not so funny side: I didn't like the writing very much. I actually spent at least the first twenty percent thinking the final rating would turn out to be two or three stars. I was irritated by a lot of the random thoughts Violet was having and the annoying tone they had. After that first part, though, the story got so interesting that I didn't notice much of annoying about the writing (except for the some grammar errors). I was just caught up in the story and didn't want to put my kindle down. It wasn't until the epilogue that I noticed it again. For some reason, I really don’t like endings that both seem picture perfect and that do the whole “where they are now” type thing.

Overall, though, Falling for the Ghost of You was a fantastic, quick, fun, romantic read. It’s a book that many fans of chick lit would enjoy.

Something you should know:

I tend to like YA contemporary books with dark elements, so I’m not as big of a fan of light chick lit as many are.

Quote:


2 comments:

  1. Love your review! It's light, short and straight to the point. Plus, it makes me want to read Falling for the Ghost of You. It sounds like a fun read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This review was great, I think I enjoy it when its short because it doesn't take up too much time. Great job! Sounds like a great read so I'm interested to see if my school library has it.

    ReplyDelete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.