Friday, July 12, 2013

Review ~ Going Under by S. Walden

Genre: NA contemporary, mature themes
Series and number: standalone
Number of pages: 346
Edition: kindle ebook
Link to Goodreads page

Goodreads description:

Brooke Wright has only two goals her senior year at Charity Run High School: stay out of trouble and learn to forgive herself for the past. Forgiveness proves elusive, and trouble finds her anyway when she discovers a secret club at school connected to the death of her best friend. She learns that swim team members participate in a “Fantasy Slut League,” scoring points for their sexual acts with unsuspecting girls.

Brooke, wracked with guilt over her friend’s death, decides to infiltrate the league by becoming one of the “unsuspecting girls,” and exact revenge on the boys who stole away her best friend. An unexpected romance complicates her plans, and her dogged pursuit of justice turns her reckless as she underestimates just how far the boys will go to keep their sex club a secret.

(This is a New Adult fiction book with mature themes. It contains graphic sex and language and a description of sexual violence.)

My review (originally posted on Goodreads):

Rating: 5 stars
Date read: June 12 to 13, 2013
Source: Bought

Here's the thing: I have a very long review of this book written up inside my notebook. I wrote it right after I read it so I could get all the thoughts that were swirling around in my head onto paper. Maybe I'll post that someday, but for now I just want to keep it short (well, shorter) and sweet.

First of all, this book is not for the faint of heart. It was very brutal and very emotional. As it says in the description, it is recommended for mature readers, and I strongly reinforce that recommendation.

Going Under was about many things. It was about grief and redemption and guilt. It was about staying strong in the face of adversity. It was about rape and the associated fear and hopelessness often comes with it, as well as the social pressures surrounding the topic. It was about love and forgiveness, friendship and betrayal. It was about being human, making mistakes, and learning how to make up for them.

This book is one of my favorites I've read this year. It contained that harshness that I really like about these types of books. It held nothing back and contained an unedited quality that fit in so well with the book. I loved how it made me think and jot down all sorts of notes while reading it. I loved the characters (the good ones), flaws and all. I loved how the author went about all the different elements included in the book, and how "out there" it felt.

This is the type of book that I will love no matter how much someone criticizes it. It is the type of book that I loved despite any of the faults I saw it it myself.


Quote:



5 comments:

  1. Great review Kaitlin! I have just followed your blog, I found it through the Blogger Lift thread on Goodreads :)

    Check out my blog too! http://www.happyindulgencebooks.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you wrote your review by longhand and am even more impressed by the fact that that review was longer! I'm far too lazy to do that and I need that edit button to make any sense!
    Great review, I have this to read and as I love heavy, emotional reads I'm Really looking forward to it.

    BookishTrish @ Between the Lines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heavy, emotional books often receive high ratings from me. I just love them.

      Delete
  3. I really loved this book! It was so raw and powerful and emotional. Great review! I'm participating in the blog tour and I'm currently writing my review. It's really hard since the book rendered me speechless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pretty speechless after I read it too. :)

      Delete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.