Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Review ~ The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa

This review is of a book I read about a month ago. I just never put together the post until now.

Genre: YA paranormal/dystopia
Series and number: Blood of Eden #1
Number of pages: 486
Edition: Hardcover
Link to Goodreads page

Goodreads description:


To survive in a ruined world, she must embrace the darkness…

Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a walled-in city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten. Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of them—the vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself dies and becomes one of the monsters.

Forced to flee her city, Allie must pass for human as she joins a ragged group of pilgrims seeking a legend—a place that might have a cure for the disease that killed off most of civilization and created the rabids, the bloodthirsty creatures who threaten human and vampire alike. And soon Allie will have to decide what and who is worth dying for…again.

Enter Julie Kagawa's dark and twisted world as an unforgettable journey begins.

My review:

Rating: 4 stars
Date read: July 1 to 6, 2013
Source: Bought

This book was interesting. It was a dystopia, but it creatures zombies and vampires. They weren't even hidden; in fact, everybody knew of them. Vampires ruled the cities, the zombies (or "rabids") were a danger to civilization. I've never read a book quite like this one. It was different than the usual vampire book and I really liked reading it. 

One complaint that I've heard about the beginning is that it's very slow, and in a way, I do understand why someone would think so. The first hundred pages was reserved to world building and introductions and just plain getting the story started. However, I liked that. I didn't find it to be terribly slow. I appreciate details and the build up because it's important to have them when reading a book set in a whole new world or future. 

Speaking of the "future," the dystopia elements were well done. There was a ruling forcethe powerful vampiresthen the rebellionthe humans searching for Eden. There was even that danger elementthe danger of rabies attacking and vampire leaders upturning the humans' plans. The world and elements inside of it were nicely put together and I wasn't confused about what going on. 

The characters, too, were nicely set up. Allie, the main character, was very strongly the face of her new reality as a vampire. She didn't want to be a monster that everyone expected her to be. Instead of succumbing to the Hunger, she held out so she wouldn't hurt or take away from the innocent. Unfortunately, most of the other characters judged her immediately upon the discovery that she was a vampire and thought of her as a vicious creature that would kill them. That's understandable, though, because that's a natural response, but it's sad to see someone judged so harshly when I know she didn't deserve it. I was glad that some decided to trust her, though it appeared that she still didn't fit in with anyone at the end of the book. 

The other characters were pretty good, too. I didn't like them as much as Allie. Kanin didn't make many appearances, but I could tell that he'll play a much bigger role in the sequel. Ruth played the annoying, jealous girl . . . but let's face it, there almost always has ti be one annoying character. I liked Jeb less because he seemed way too obsessed. Jackal was a little scary, and I know he'll make a pretty important appearance in the next book. As for Zeke, he was kind, loyal, and determined, but had the flaws necessary for him to have. I'm not sure about his future in the series. I don't know if he and Allie will fight to be together or if she'll move on from any future with a human. I don't know, but I'm curious as to where Allie will be heading next. 

Overall, The Immortal Rules was a great read that not only focused on a group of humans seeking salvation in Eden, an almost mythical location during their journey, but also a heroine who struggled with her new identity as someone most saw as a monster.

Quote (original photo found on Readinista)



5 comments:

  1. I don't think she'll end up with Zeke. I kind of want her to end up with Kanin. With the strong reactions he had towards Allie about her becoming a vampire, I don't know if Zeke will ever be able to overcome it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I'm thinking. I think she would fit better with Kanin.

      Delete
  2. I agree that it had a really unique view of vampires! The worl was brutal and terrifying, the characters real and interesting. Good review !

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like a great book, I'm glad I recently borrowed as I was worried because I have read a lot of bad and good reviews for it so I could never tell.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really loved The Immortal Rules, and am so happy you did as well! I definitely agree that the beginning was slow though. It could've used some more action to pick it up! As far as the vampires go, I loved how she spun a different view on them. Great review!

    -Willa (Lit Up Review and Willa's Ramblings)

    ReplyDelete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.