Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Review ~ Kindred by Erica Stevens

Genre: YA paranormal romance
Series and number: The Kindred #1
Number of pages: 260
Edition: Kindle ebook
Link to Goodreads page

Goodreads description:

What do you do when the one you love is also you worst enemy? Trapped in a destiny she does not want, Cassie finds herself lost and adrift, until he walks into her life, turning it upside down and awakening her in ways that she never dreamed possible.

Cassie is stunned and devastated to learn that she belongs to a long line of vampire slayers known as The Hunters. A murderous rampage by a group of elder vampires has left the Hunter line decimated and the remaining Hunters scattered around the world. With her friends Chris and Melissa’s aid, Cassie struggles to rid the world of the monsters that murdered her parents. Though Cassie knows it is her fate, she chafes against her heritage, and is resentful of the shortened lifespan that has been placed upon her by the circumstances of birth. Struggling to get through every day, Cassie finds herself simply going through the motions of living. That is, until Devon arrives. Tall, dark, and mysterious his arrival turns the school, and Cassie’s life, upside down. Fighting against her fierce attraction to him, and the chaos he represents in her carefully ordered days, she is irresistibly drawn to him. Though worried that what she truly is will place Devon in danger, she is unable to fight her feelings for him. He is the one light, and the only source of hope she has in a world that revolves around death and fear. What she does not know is that Devon has some dark secrets of his own, secrets even more frightening and dangerous than hers. Secrets that threaten to tear them apart forever.

My review:

Rating: 3 stars
Date read: July 19 to 20, 2013
Source: Free on Amazon

This book began in an intriguing way, and I immediately started asking questions. What was going to happen? Why was Cassie’s life going to change forever? I was then introduced to the group of vampire Hunter’s and the “strange man” that Cassie felt an immediate and irresistible bong with. Kindred became a book that I enjoyed reading.

Unfortunately, the more I look back into what occurred in the story, I am realizing not much actually did. Sure, there was the opening and concluding events that are always supposed to be eventful, with a few smaller ones sprinkled in the middle, but there didn’t seem to be much of any significance in the bulk of what occurred. Even in Cassie and Devon’s relationship, not much happened. There was a lot of gaze-locking and descriptions of their feelings around each other, but I could probably count how many times they had an actual conversation that was longer than a few sentences on one hand. It made their whole relationship less convincing for me.

I usually notice problems like these while reading shorter books. There’s almost always something that leaves me feeling unfulfilled.

Overall, I did enjoy this book enough to give it three stars. It just lacked substance.

One last thought:

I didn't learn much about the Hunters and about their lives and history. I would've liked to see more depth and detail in that area. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.