Sunday, July 14, 2013

Review ~ Rift by Andrea Cremer

Genre: YA fantasy
Series and number: Nightshade Prequel #1
Number of pages: 430
Edition: Hardcover
Link to Goodreads page

Goodreads description:

Chronicling the rise of the Keepers, this is the stunning prequel to Andrea Cremer's internationally bestselling Nightshade trilogy!

Sixteen-year-old Ember Morrow is promised to a group called Conatus after one of their healers saves her mother's life. Once she arrives, Ember finds joy in wielding swords, learning magic, and fighting the encroaching darkness loose in the world. She also finds herself falling in love with her mentor, the dashing, brooding, and powerful Barrow Hess. When the knights realize Eira, one of their leaders, is dabbling in dark magic, Ember and Barrow must choose whether to follow Eira into the nether realm or to pledge their lives to destroying her and her kind.

With action, adventure, magic, and tantalizing sensuality, this book is as fast-paced and breathtaking as the Nightshade novels.

My review:

Rating: 3 stars
Date read: July 6 to 7, 2013
Source: Bought

I loved the Nightshade series. It had drama, romance, and a plot that I really liked. So, it's not surprising that I liked Rift—however, that's about it. This wasn't an extraordinary book, nor was it a bad one. It fits comfortably in the middle as a three star. 

I liked the writing and the dash of romance, the deceit, the suspenseful moments. It was just a little slow and it didn't carry that wow factor that I felt while reading Nightshade (which I have read maybe three times, which I have done with most of my favorite novels). Overall, Rift could have been better. It could have grabbed a hold of my attention more. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.