Friday, July 12, 2013

Review ~ Tattoos by Denise Mathew

Warning: this review contains spoilers.

Genre: YA contemporary romance
Series and number: standalone
Number of pages: 300
Edition: ebook
Link to Goodreads page

Goodreads description:

Seventeen-year-old Marilee Mackie has everything going for her, beauty, money and a bright future. But when she’s diagnosed with Stage 3 Hodgkins Lymphoma her world falls apart, and instead of finishing her senior year she begins the fight of her life.

Nineteen-year-old Jax, an enigmatic hospital orderly, lives on the Strip, the proverbial other side of the tracks. With his edgy attitude, sleeves of tattoos and rocker look, he’s the kind of bad boy that Marilee has always steered clear of.

But when Marilee’s cancer strips away every bit of her identity, leaving her a shadow of the person she once was, all the things that mattered to her before no longer hold any meaning. Determined to make a difference in the world before she dies, Marilee enlists Jax to help her with something she calls the Peace Project, a way to use her college fund money to help the people who need it the most on the Strip.
With Marilee’s money and Jax’s knowledge of the Strip, the teenagers embark on an unforgettable journey. Where two people from completely different worlds find that miracles do exist, and that the darkest cloud of your life may be lined with the brightest rainbow.

Tattoos is a story about love, hope and the preconceived notions and barriers that we put between us for no reason other than the way someone looks or where they live. It’s about letting go of all the things that we thought were important in the quest for our true purpose. And that sometimes the people you never thought you could love, may be exactly who you needed all along.

My review (originally posted on Goodreads):

Rating: 4 stars
Date read: June 29 to 30, 2013
Source: I received a copy from the author in return for an honest review

Oh, thank you, thank you Denise Mathew for writing a book focusing on cancer without actually killing a main character off. Even before I started the book, I was set with the idea that Marileeor even Jaxwas going to die. I was bracing myself for that, and I was so prepared to right how predictable the book was if either would've died. But . . . that didn't happen, and I am grateful for that. There are cancer books where the main character dying is an essential part, but there are others where part of the whole point is to demonstrate that cancer doesn't kill all it's victims. That said, it was really nice that I was bracing myself for nothing bad. The ending was very, very sweet, and a great conclusion to a great book. My eyes did water in some parts, but I didn't cry like I had been expecting.

Where did the missing star go? The one that is empty in the five star line up? I didn't connect to the story and characters as much as I would've liked. I'm not exactly sure why that was, but it could have drawn me further into the book. Another part of the missing star was on the account of many grammatical errors. I usually let those slide if they don't distract me from the story, but in this case, it did do that.

Despite the negatives, I really liked the book. It was a heartwarming story and I recommend giving it a try.

One more comment:

-I really liked the Peace Project. It gave people the opportunityto get their lives back in order instead of just doing it for them.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.