Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Review ~ Wander Dust by Michelle Warren


Genre: YA fantasy
Series and number: Seraphina Parrish Trilogy #1
Number of pages: 241
Edition: kindle ebook
Published: 
Published November 3rd 2011 by Kristine Michelle Preast
Link to Goodreads page


Goodreads description:

Ever since her sixteenth birthday, strange things keep happening to Seraphina Parrish.

The Lady in Black… burns Sera’s memories.

Unexplainable premonitions… catapult her to other cities.

The Grungy Gang… wants to kill her.

And a beautiful, mysterious boy… stalks her.

But when Sera moves to Chicago, and her aunt reveals their family connection to a centuries old, secret society, she is immediately thrust into an unbelievable fantasy world, leading her on a quest to unravel the mysteries that plague her. In the end, their meanings crash into an epic struggle of loyalty and betrayal, and she’ll be forced to choose between the boy who has stolen her heart and the thing she desires most.

Wander Dust is the breathtaking fantasy that will catapult you through a story of time, adventure, and love.

My review:

Rating: 2.5 stars
Date read: June 09, 2013
Source: Free on Amazon

Forgive me, for I put this review in list format. It took me awhile to finally get to writing it, and I just felt like making a list.

This one was tough to rate. Part of the book made me go, "this is kind of interesting," while other left me thinking they missed the mark. The book had potential--great concept, great elements--but it wasn't executed as well as it could have been.

Here's where this book lacked:

1) It was too jumpy feeling. There were a lot of times, I just wanted the book to stay in one spot with a little more detail or depth, but it didn't happen very often. It was like a sideshow that moved too quickly from slide to slide so you couldn't get much an impression from the pictures shown.

2) Seraphina Parrish (Sera) wasn't as well rounded as she should've been. For example, I sensed that she was supposed to have a passion for music, but it was never developed. It would've been really nice to see more of that. It would've made Sera a better character and it would've made the book more interesting. 
3) Sera had a best friend before she moved to Chicago. Other than a mention or two of her, there was no other sign that Sera had had a best friend. There was hardly anything telling what Sera's life was like prior to Chicago and outside of wandering unless it had to do with her parents.

4) I like description. It doesn't need to be a ton. I would just like sufficient details so I can picture the events and people in the book so I can get more into it. This book had pretty vague descriptions, and I often times got distracted struggling to develop a mental image of what was going on.

5) The whole process and history of wandering seemed really elaborate. I liked that, but I'm still not sure what the whole purpose of it was.

Overall, this book could have been a lot better. I really liked where it was going, but it didn't go far enough to reach it's full potential. I really liked the last quarter of the book, and it's surprises, but the rest of the book was lacking.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.