Monday, July 15, 2013

Review ~ Winter Fire by Laurie Dubay

Genre: YA paranormal romance, mythology
Series and number: Winter Fire #1
Number of pages: 254 (estimated)
Edition: mobi ebook
Link to Goodreads page

Goodreads description:

"I should have seen Bren for what he was right away." A brooding, powerful god, hiding out with his rebel friends in the snowy mountains of Pennsylvania.

"Loki stood before the flames in a black leather jacket and tattered jeans…the son of the grim reaper." A captivating master of danger who threatens their secret.

When Jenna becomes the center of a clash between Asgard's most powerful expatriates, she will have to choose between what she wants most in the world, and the world itself.

After her parent’s divorce, Jenna and her mother find shelter in the frozen world of Yew Dales Resort, where Jenna meets Bren Bergan, a mysterious snowboarder who, while proving elusive, seems to show up at all the wrong times. Intrigued, and anxious to escape the gloom of her own life, Jenna begins to notice the strangeness that surrounds Bren. Hills rise and fall beneath his board, trees sway aside as he passes, and time itself seems to shrink and stretch at his silent command. As she searches for answers, Jenna learns that Bren is an expatriate Norse god who has escaped his home in Asgard in order to break a cycle of destruction that threatens both of their worlds. When Loki, hypnotic master of discord, arrives from Asgard seeking to bring Bren home, he discovers Jenna as well, and she becomes the center of a struggle which will determine all of their fates.

My review:

Rating: 3 stars
Date read: July 15, 2013
Source: I received a copy from the author in return for an honest review

Interesting. This book didn't go the typical mythology route, but instead featured Norse gods. I know next to nothing about Norse mythology, so most of the information was fresh and new to me. I liked why the gods were at the resort and I liked the conflict between the two separate groups that were featured (Bren vs. Loki). I especially liked the whole focus with snowboarding. Some of the most interesting scenes were when the gods or Jenna was going up and down the hills. Oh, and the wolf toohe was one of my favorite characters (if you count animals as characters).

There were, however, a few things I didn't like about this book. Although I did like Jenna and Bren together, I kind of wish it wasn't as insta-love as it was. I also which there could have been a bit more development of the side and minor characters that had important roles in the story. The biggest reason why I didn't give this a higher rating, though, was that I didn't connect as much as I could have to the book. One of the key components required to make me really like something is that connection.

Overall, Winter Fire was a nicely written book that many people would probably enjoy. It was a good book, and I did enjoy itit just didn't leave a huge impression on me.


2 comments:

  1. Oh it sucks it wasn't an amazing book. I think I want to read it because I love Norse Mythology and Greek Mythology...maybe just mythology in general so...maybe it will be more suited to my taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should read it! It's pretty short. The three star rating is really due to my own personal lower level of connection to the book. Sadly, that does happen for a few books I read.

      Delete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.