Monday, July 22, 2013

Review ~ You Are Mine by Janeal Falor

Genre: YA Fantasy
Series and number: Mine #1
Number of pages: 335
Edition: Kindle ebook
Link to Goodreads page

Goodreads description:

Serena knows a few simple things. She will always be owned by a warlock. She will never have freedom. She will always do what her warlock wishes, regardless of how inane, frivolous, or cruel it is. And if she doesn't follow the rules, she will be tarnished. Spelled to be bald, inked, and barren for the rest of her life—worth less than the shadow she casts.

Then her ownership is won by a barbarian from another country. With the uncertainty that comes from belonging to a new warlock, Serena questions if being tarnished is really worse than being owned by a barbarian, and tempts fate by breaking the rules. When he looks the other way instead of punishing her, she discovers a new world. The more she ventures into the forbidden, the more she learns of love and a freedom just out of reach. Serena longs for both. But in a society where women are only ever property, hoping for more could be deadly.

My review:

Rating: 4 stars
Date read: July 21 to 22, 2013
Source: Bought

This book reminded me of . . . a fairy tale. It began by painting a harsh and horrible landscape of a society where women were treated as possessions—good only for producing warlock son. It was set up in a way to invoke sympathy for Serena, the poor girl who was sold to a proud and domineering man and had grown up being punished by her father for every wrong move she made. The only life she had known was one where women were "owned," but she didn't want to just accept that future.

Then there was Zade, a barbarous Envadi that turned out to be the exact opposite. The country he came from just did things differently and the warlocks were very large, so his kind was judged for it. It took Serena awhile before she realized he wasn't going to hurt her, but the process was really nice. There were plenty of moments that built him up to be a kind and gentle man, and it made the book more interesting than if she simply trusted him from the very beginning.

It also added to the little bit of sweet fairy tale like romance that took place in the book. There was no instant attraction, but instead, affection between Serena and Zade built up throughout the entire book. I was on my toes hoping nothing would get in their way and waiting for them to realize how well they fit together. It didn't happen in the way I expected (actually, I don't know what I was expecting), but when it did, it felt like a fairy tale ending. I loved how it happened and I loved how Serena's life was when it did.

Serena was a girl who started out in a low place, living in fear of what the next punishment would be. With the help of Zade, her sisters, and her friends, she defied everyone's rules and expectations. She was able to build a better life for herself and those she cared about. Again, it all had a bit of a fairy tale feeling to it, and I loved it.

I'm definitely looking forward to the next book in the series. I'm hoping to see more of Zade and Serena, even if it's in a different perspective like I feel it will be, as well as the other characters. I'm also hoping to learn more about the interesting and horrible world they live in (the world-building may have been the weakest area in this book; there wasn't much history or background to the world they lived in). I'm especially looking forward to how much further the strict rules of the society of Chardonia are going to be challenged and questions.

Overall, You Are Mine was a well written tale about pushing beyond boundaries to live a life you want to live, without being restricted or "owned" by anyone but yourself. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and I highly recommend reading it!


1 comment:

  1. Brilliant review, I have never heard this book and it sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.