Thursday, August 1, 2013

Feature and Follow (6) ~ "How do you handle a book you don’t like?"


This is a weekly event hosted by Parajunkee and Alison Can Read that is meant to be a way for bloggers to increase followers and make friends.

My preferred following method is Bloglovin', but it would be nice to reach 100 GFC followers.

This week's question:
Q: How do you handle a book you don’t like? Do you DNF or do you power through?

I always try my best to finish reading all the books I start. However, I have quite a big stack of books that are left unfinished. I intend to finish most of them, though, so I don't label them "DNF."

Here are the most common things that lead me to leave a book unfinished:
  • I have a case of Reader's Block (you might call it a "slump") - This is when almost nothing appeals to me. I don't feel like reading, and I try a bunch of books before I find one to put me back into the reading mood. (I'm actually on the verge of one right now, but I'm battling it now so it won't actually come about.)
  • I'm in the middle of a veeery sloow moving scene. I don't like to spend a lot of time reading one book, so if I'm bored, I'll go searching for something more interesting. Unfortunately, I often leave my other book sitting on the bookshelf with a bookmark stuck in that slow part. (I have a plan to finish and review a few of those this month.)
  • I'm borrowing it either from my school library or through a friend. For some reason, I don't like library books as much as ones that I own. Maybe it's because I only get to have them temporarily or because I don't feel a connection to them. Whatever it is, I often times return my library books without finishing them. (However, I'm going to get a card from my local library soon (I know, I'm a bookaholic who has never used a library card), so hopefully I won't leave so many library books unfinished in the future.)
Other than those reasons, I usually finish reading a book. It's rare for me to come across a book that feels so unbearable to finish. I can always find something good from whatever I'm reading, so it's not difficult to read it to through to the very end.

Thank you for stopping by and checking out my response to this week's question! Please leave a link below to yours so I can see yours. 

11 comments:

  1. I hate reader's slump. The only thing that usually gets me out of that is if I re-read one of my favorite books or read something by my favorite authors.

    I also return library books without finishing them, but I don't consider those books DNF. Typically I just forget about the deadline and I'm only halfway through the book by the time it's due. I always plan on finishing the book some time later.

    new bloglovin follower

    My FF

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree, I don't think I feel as much of a connection to library books either, and I return a lot unread. I usually end up reading three books at once if I get bored, but mostly I go back and finish them all. Or skim read it!
    Ah! I just came out of a partial reading slump, where the only thing I wanted to read were 'comfort reads' that I'd read before. Good luck trying to stop it!
    Thanks for stopping by my FF! Old follower on Twitter and Bloglovin'!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I put books back on the shelf with a bookmark stuck in the part where I got bored and forgot about it too! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I am a bloglovin follower now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea I agree, but sometimes its hard. Happy Friday :)

    new follower on twitter, goodreads & blog

    http://www.itchingforbooks.com/2013/08/feature-and-follow-58.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reader's block is the worst! I hate picking up book after book trying to find one that will interest me.

    Thanks for stopping by. Old follower :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have the most detailed answer I've seen yet! I'm a bloglovin follower. :b

    ReplyDelete
  7. I completely agree with you when it comes to borrowing books from the library. But if I end up liking the book, I would usually buy it afterward. :)

    Thanks for stopping by my blog :) New follower via bloglovin.

    My FF:D


    Jackie @Jackie's Book World

    ReplyDelete
  8. Agree with your answers. Readers block will put me down. I have a maybe later list for books that are half finished.

    Thanks for the follow! i'm following back :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I often suffer from Readers Block as well. Even if it is a book I've been waiting for for a while! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I am a new follower via Bloglovin :)
    Brittany @ Spare Time book blog

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great answer! I think we all have reader's block at some point and some books aren't going to cut it when one's not into it. Thanks for coming by ... following you on Bloglovin!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hate to DNF a book especially DNF two books in a row because it will easily put me into a reading slump. But there is nothing I can do, when I don't like the book, it's just so hard to power through.

    Anyway thanks for stopping by. Old Follower.

    Happy reading =)

    ReplyDelete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.