Monday, August 5, 2013

First Impressions are Everything (Covers Only Edition) ~ Orleans, Blackwood, and Harbinger

Here's what First Impressions ~ Covers Only Editions is:

It's similar to the regular edition where I base my impressions off of the first sentences or paragraphs from three different books. However, with this, I'm featuring three covers of books I don't know much about. The covers themselves may be familiar to me, but I'm not very familiar with the genres or descriptions of any of the three books.

Here are the the covers I'm talking about this week:

#1 
Orleans by Sherri L. Smith

This is a cover I came across the internet and saved onto my computer because I really liked it.

First impressions and predictions?

-Well, it definitely looks like a dystopia novel.
-It’s probably set in New Orleans—or maybe a jungle/exotic-like setting
-The girl looks like she’s alone. Maybe this is one of those post-apocalyptic types where the human race is almost extinct.




#2
Blackwood by Gwenda Bond

I came across this somewhere and thought it looked interesting. 

First impressions and predictions?

-I get the feeling it has some sci-fi elements and a slightly futuristic setting.
-I also feel like it’s set in some woods/jungle (at least part of the time).
-It’s very mysterious.
-I’m wondering what “America’s oldest mystery” is referring to. I can’t tell from the cover.
-The girl has a . . . number on her arm? It gives me the impression that there’s some sort of camp/prison or similar system where people are given numbers. (Or maybe she’s part of a scientific experiment?) 

#3 
Harbinger by Sara Wilson Etienne

Again, I came across it and saved the cover because I liked how it looked. 

First impressions and predictions?

-First of all, I’m a bit conflicted over this cover. I’m not sure whether I like it or not. The photo looks cool, but the border and title makes it look odd.
-It has a very doomsday feeling.
-I’m not sure what exactly to call that in the background (planet or moon), but it gives the book a very sci-fi feel.
-I think the girl must be the “Harbinger”—the one who brings doom to the planet.
-There may be a few supernatural elements, but I’m not sure to what degree they are.

Which one am I most interested in?
The cover of Blackwood has intrigued me for awhile, so if I had to choose one out of the three to read, that would be the book.


That's it for this week's First Impressions! What do you think of these covers?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.