Saturday, August 31, 2013

Looking Back on August

Overall, this month was a bit of a slow reading one (but a very good blogging one). After reading close to 25 books in July, I was a bit burned out on reading and reviewing. For the entire month of August, I was on and off Readers' Block. I found myself spend quite a few full days without reading a single page. It was also a disappointing month of ARR books (I read four) because they made up my lowest ratings of the entire month. On the bright side, I read some seriously awesome books that made up for the not-so-good ones!

WHAT I READ 
I also read Timepiece by Myra McEntire

FAVORITES

Contemporary: 
The Moon and More by Sarah Dessen

Paranormal: 
The Collector by Victoria Scott

Dystopia: 
Angelfall by Susan Ee

Fantasy:
Siege and Storm by Leigh Bardugo

Historical:
Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys

R2R: 
I Breathe You by Lori L. Clark

Cover: 
Fire County by David Estes

Heroine: 
Alina from Shadow and Bone and Siege and Storm

Hero:
Dante from The Collector :-)

BOOK STATS:
Ratings:
-5 stars: 2
-4.5 stars: 3 
-4 stars: 3
-3.5 stars: 2
-3 stars: 1
2.5 stars: 1
2 stars: 1

Average rating:  3.85 stars 
. . . my average is the same as in July. Weird. 

REVIEWS POSTED
My Super Sweet Sixteenth Century by Rachel Harris
**The Collector by Victoria Scott (my favorite review of the month)
Shadow and Bone and Siege and Storm by Leigh Bardugo (in the same post)
The Moon and More by Sarah Dessen
Just Remember to Breathe by Charles Sheehan-Miles
The White Lilac by Christina J. Adams
Angelfall by Susan Ee
Fire Country by David Estes
Half-Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout (reread)
Poison Princess by Kresley Cole
My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick (reread)

GREAT GUEST POSTS
Ruby @ Feed Me Books Now - Review of Kite Spirit by Sita Brahmachari 
Lucy @ Big whale, Small whale - How to balance review books with personal TBR ones

OTHER FUN STUFF THAT HAPPENED THIS MONTH
  • I reached a lot of blogging number milestones, including a new record in daily pageviews, two milestones in Twitter followers, and my 100th blog post.
  • I joined Bloggers Commenting Back (hosted by Alice @ Readers in Wonderland)! This means I have dedicated myself to comment back to each comment on my blog and go visit that person's blog and comment one of his or hers posts or pages. I discovered this by a post Leigh made on Little Book Star. Thank you, Leigh, for spreading the word!
  • I added a blog roll to my sidebar! Some of my favorite blogs are listed there (I still want to add a few).
  • I participated in two read-a-thons, but I didn't get very into either one. :(
  • New features I've officially launched:
  • I hosted my very first giveaway where I provided the prize! The winner, Holly U, chose Of Beast and Beauty.
  • I saw City of Bones and am planning on writing a reaction post for it. 
  • I joined the @FeedMyReads family on Twitter as @FeedMyReadsCon. It's the contemporary genre branch of the community.
  • I was interviewed by Lucy @ Big whale, Small whale
  • I went camping with three of my closest three friends on Monday-Wednesday, and surprisingly, we talked a lot about YA books. I told them a lot about ones I recommend reading: The Fault in Our Stars, Divergent, City of Bones, The Immortal Rules, Shatter Me, Angelfall, Shadow and Bone, The 5th Wave. My bookworm friend also told me all about Starters by Lissa Price. I believe all of us found something new to try out. :)
    • Oh, and guess what? I was looking up books turning into movies (yes, I did have internet access on my phone) and came across If I Stay by Gayle Forman. When I mentioned it, my friend that rarely reads told me she's read the series! Apparently, she loves those books. Now I'm feeling more left out than I did before. I haven't read any of that author's books.
  • I'm sure there's a lot more, but that's all I'll mention in this post. 
Keep your eyes open for my Fall Announcements post that will be up soon. It will include important information about what will be happening on this blog in the next few months!

How did August go for you?
If you have your own wrap-up post, please leave me a link! I would love to visit your blog and leave a comment. :)

16 comments:

  1. You had a very good month! I wish I did...I only read 4 books which is shocking. It was because I had so many assignments!!! School sucks...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I am on my summer break, which is when I basically have nothing else to do but read and blog (okay, that's not all I do, but close).

      I hope the books you did get to were really good. :)

      Delete
  2. Looks like you had a great reading month! The grisha series and angelfall are awesome books:) And congrats on the blogger milestones!

    Monthly Round Up @ Eveline's Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I totally agree with you about the books. I'm so glad I read them!

      Delete
  3. You did really well this month! Can't wait to see your reaction post to City of Bones. I did a Twin Takedown of the film with my sis at Nawanda Files -- where we discuss the movie and offer our differing opinions via gifs. I didn't like it all that much -- so I'll be curious to see your thoughts ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I hope to have that post up soon, then. :)

      Delete
  4. I had days this month where I didn't feel like reading or blogging ~ it's good to take a few days off so we don't burn out completely!

    Sarah @ Kitties Like Books Too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good. Burning out completely is worse than just a little slump.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. It was a pretty good movie. I hope you love it!

      Delete
  6. Looks like you had a pretty great month! Shadow and Bone and Siege and Storm are definitely favorites of mine. Thanks for stopping by my blog! You should add your blog to your disqus profile so it's easier for me to find you. :)

    Tressa @ Tressa's Wishful Endings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have become new favorites of mine too. :)

      Thank you for the suggestion.

      Delete
  7. Hello, Kaitlin! If you say ARR, does that mean those books being offered on some of the Goodreads groups that need to be reviewed? Because if it is, I can totally relate with what you're feeling. I've been reading ARR books for the last two weeks and mind you, almost all of them were a fail (except for Fire Country and The Cadence). And I have now learned my lesson, never again. I am ignoring all those invite e-mails because I'm afraid to get tempted again and eventually regret. *sighs*

    I have the two Grisha books by Leigh Bardugo but I still don't have time to read it at the moment. With ARRS out of the way and handful of ARCS, I am hopeful that I can get to reading them by October-November.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I mainly mean the review books through Goodreads. I also include books that I received from authors who contacted me on Goodreads as ARR books. Many of those books that I've read have disappointed me. Sadly. :(

      Delete
  8. Wow! What you call a bad reading month is an amazing reading month to me!

    I'm glad you loved Siege and Storm, I am completely obsessed with that series!!! When I read Angelfall, I liked it, but was a bit disappointed because I felt like it dragged on sometimes.

    What about the Moon and More? Do you think it's worth the read?

    Looks like you had a great month for August! (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah Dessen is amazing, so The Moon and More is definitely worth reading!

      It wasn't a bad reading month, really. It just went a bit slow, especially in the last week and a half.

      Delete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.