Thursday, August 22, 2013

Review ~ Angelfall by Susan Ee

Genre: YA paranormal/dystopia
Series and number: Penryn & the End of Days #1
Number of pages: 283
Edition: Kindle ebook
Link to Goodreads page

Goodreads description:

It's been six weeks since angels of the apocalypse descended to demolish the modern world. Street gangs rule the day while fear and superstition rule the night. When warrior angels fly away with a helpless little girl, her seventeen-year-old sister Penryn will do anything to get her back.

Anything, including making a deal with an enemy angel.

Raffe is a warrior who lies broken and wingless on the street. After eons of fighting his own battles, he finds himself being rescued from a desperate situation by a half-starved teenage girl.

Traveling through a dark and twisted Northern California, they have only each other to rely on for survival. Together, they journey toward the angels' stronghold in San Francisco where she'll risk everything to rescue her sister and he'll put himself at the mercy of his greatest enemies for the chance to be made whole again.

My review:

Rating: 4.5 stars
Date read: August 13 to 14, 2013
Source: Bought

Were to start, where to start? Hmm . . .

Action packed. Gruesome. Bloody. Apocalyptic. Jaw-dropping. Fast-paced. Romantic (but not too much). Tragic. Strange. Creepy. Shiver-inducing. Hope filled. Worthy of attention.

Those are only some of the some of the descriptions to fit Angelfall that popped into my head—yeah, I know, those are already a lot. It was a fantastic book that lived up to the great things I heard about it.

Susan Ee knows how to write. It was very well written and developed. I loved the world created: a post-apocalyptic world destroyed by angels, inhabited by humans, and haunted by mysterious cannibalistic creatures. It was definitely something new and unique to contribute to the dystopian genre, and I always love to discover something new.

The way it was written too . . . it was beautiful. Whether something good or downright horrible was being described, it was done in beautiful writing.

"The sky was choked with blood-tinged smoke for days." (loc 2644)

"Something breaks deep within me like glass being crunched underfoot.
Here and there, plumes of dark smoke reach into the sky like the fingers of a drowning man reaching up for the last time." (loc 3339)

The pace was very quick and exciting. There was never a dull moment nor an easily predictable one. I love Penryn and Raffe's journey from one place to another and how they settled in each spot for just the right amount of time.

Penryn and Raffe themselves were amazing. She was a very strong heroine that was dead-set on remaining loyal to here family—even to the last few pages. He was a stong angel that struggled with the loss of his wings and his growing feelings for a human. The two of them worked well together. They protected and looked out for each other. They had great chemistry, but didn't even realize how much for a long time. Their romance was like a little ball of pieces of hate-then-love, slow burn, and forbidden all rolled into one, and I loved how I didn't feel it landed in only one particular area. It was a romance that many readers can handle—it wasn't over the top and didn't overshadow the action or dominate the plot.

Overall, Angelfall was a wonderful book that many YA book lovers would enjoy . . . as long as you're not too squeamish over horror elements. If you think you can handle the blood and the gore, then I say you need to get this, read it, and see for yourself why so many people (including me) are raving about it.

Here are some of my favorite quotes:

"'Oh. My. God.' I lower my voice, having forgotten to whisper. 'You are nothing but a bird with an attitude. Okay, so you have a few muscles, I'll grant you that. But you know, a bird is nothing but a barely evolved lizard. That's what you are.'"

"I've heard plenty of wacky things in my time and you just have to learn to roll with them without directly challenging the person spewing the weirdness. Challenging weirdness is a pointless and sometimes dangerous exercise."

2 comments:

  1. I really want to read this book. Just about everyone has read this book and it's bugging me because it has such high praise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does seem like everyone has read it, doesn't it? So many people have been talking about it.

      Delete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.