Friday, August 23, 2013

Review ~ Fire Country by David Estes

Genre: YA dystopia
Series and number: Country Saga #1
Number of pages: 398
Edition: ebook
Link to Goodreads page

Goodreads description:

In a changed world where the sky bleeds red, winter is hotter than hell and full of sandstorms, and summer's even hotter with raging fires that roam the desert-like country, the Heaters manage to survive, barely.

Due to toxic air, life expectancies are so low the only way the tribe can survive is by forcing women to procreate when they turn sixteen and every three years thereafter. It is their duty as Bearers.

Fifteen-year-old Siena is a Youngling, soon to be a Bearer, when she starts hearing rumors of another tribe of all women, called the Wild Ones. They are known to kidnap Youngling girls before the Call, the ceremony in which Bearers are given a husband with whom to bear children with.

As the desert sands run out on her life's hourglass, Siena must uncover the truth about the Wild Ones while untangling the web of lies and deceit her father has masterfully spun.

My review:

Rating: 3 stars
Date read: August 19 to 20, 2013
Source: I received a copy of this book from the author in return for an honest review

This was a nice book. I liked the concept surrounding the fire country and the others surrounding it. It was able to maintain a level of uniqueness that made reading it worthwhile. I really liked the romance (I was so happy that I predicted correctly in that area), and Siena. She was a strong and determined heroine, and she is a big part of why I enjoyed reading this.

However, there were a few things that I felt were lacking. Descriptions were a bit vague sometimes, so I failed to picture the scenes well in my head. Sometimes, I felt like the story was a bit underdeveloped and could have used more depth. Also, the slang and speech of the world felt a little odd to me—like it didn't mesh well enough into the story.

Other than those things, Fire Country was a good book that many readers would enjoy as much or more than I did. It had a great heroine and concept, as well as a really nice romance that didn't take over the book. Overall, it didn't wow me, but I still liked it enough to think it deserved a three star rating.

6 comments:

  1. It sucks it was only a good book and nothing more. Is it coz it's sort of bland...???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess it kind of was. But I'm not sure, exactly. Three star books are tough for me. They're not great, but they aren't bad either. I often times have very little to say about books I give three stars.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like if I read this book, I'll have the same issues as you did so I'm not sure if I'll pick it up. I love how the romance didn't take over the plot though! What's preventing me from reading it is that you mentioned you had a hard time picturing the scenes. I think this book is one of those where it was good but it wasn't amazing or a must read/re-read.

    leigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were some pretty good descriptions in some places, but most of the time, I felt like it was a bit vague. I really like details. Without them, I have a hard time thinking of a good image.

      Delete
  4. I really love dystopian books, but this one sounds pretty average. I think depth is very important in dystopia because it's kind of tricky to pull off. I think I might pick this up when I need something to read though. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an enjoyable read. You might like it more than I did.

      I agree. Depth is tricky. I feel like this book could have dug deeper than it did.

      Thank you for commenting!

      Delete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.