Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Review ~ Just Remember to Breathe by Charles Sheehan-Miles

**EDIT: I posted this and then realized that this is my 100th blog post! I'm glad it turned out to be a positive review.**

Genre: NA contemporary romance
Series: Thompson Sisters
Number of pages: 290
Edition: Kindle ebook
Link to Goodreads page

Goodreads description:

Alex Thompson’s life is following the script. A pre-law student at Columbia University, she’s focused on her grades, her life and her future. The last thing she needs is to reconnect with the boy who broke her heart.

Dylan Paris comes home from Afghanistan severely injured and knows that the one thing he cannot do is drag Alex into the mess he’s made of his life.

When Dylan and Alex are assigned to the same work study program and are forced to work side by side, they have to make new ground rules to keep from killing each other.

Only problem is, they keep breaking the rules.

The first rule is to never, ever talk about how they fell in love.

My review:

Rating: 4.5 stars
Date read: July 18, 2013
Source: Free on Amazon

I’m a sucker for a great romance and that’s exactly what I got in this book. It wasn't just that, though. It was a story of misunderstandings, guilt, strength, and commitment.

First of all, bravo to this great author. Female authors seem to dominate the NA contemporary scene and Charles Sheehan-Miles is probably the only male author I've read of book of in this particular genre. He did a brilliant job in portraying both Alex and Dylan’s perspectives and in tying tough subjects into the story line, such as PTSD and sexual abuse.

He also did a fantastic job with building his characters. Alex was a very strong heroine. I admired how she wouldn't settle for having her heart broken after Dylan had left her—not only once, but twice. She stood up for herself, and in result, pushed Dylan to be a stronger man and finally make a commitment in their relationship. He dealt with such a bad case of survivor’s guilt and I was so glad to see him make good progress in recovering. The process was ugly, but everything has to get that way before they get pretty—and pretty it did get.

Overall, this was a very well written and extremely romantic book. It had a few harsh elements, but they were blended in well with the rest of components that they didn't seem to take over the entire story—the book wasn’t about those subjects. It just included them.

I wasn't expecting Just Remember to Breathe to be as great as it was. Actually, I started reading this book with hardly any expectations, neither negative nor positive. I was pleasantly surprised, and I’ll have to check out A Song for Julia, which features Alex’s sister. I suggest others who can’t resist an absolutely romantic NA contemporary to read this book.


2 comments:

  1. Happy 100th post!!! I find it really weird when male author's write romances. I just always expect them to be a girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too. Female authors dominate that field.

      Delete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.