Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Review ~ The Moon and More by Sarah Dessen

**This is more of a mini review**

Genre: YA contemporary
Series and number: standalone
Number of pages: 435
Edition: ARC (received post-pub date)
Link to Goodreads page

Goodreads description:

Luke is the perfect boyfriend: handsome, kind, fun. He and Emaline have been together all through high school in Colby, the beach town where they both grew up. But now, in the summer before college, Emaline wonders if perfect is good enough.

Enter Theo, a super-ambitious outsider, a New Yorker assisting on a documentary film about a reclusive local artist. Theo's sophisticated, exciting, and, best of all, he thinks Emaline is much too smart for Colby.

Emaline's mostly-absentee father, too, thinks Emaline should have a bigger life, and he's convinced that an Ivy League education is the only route to realizing her potential. Emaline is attracted to the bright future that Theo and her father promise. But she also clings to the deep roots of her loving mother, stepfather, and sisters. Can she ignore the pull of the happily familiar world of Colby?

Emaline wants the moon and more, but how can she balance where she comes from with where she's going?

Sarah Dessen's devoted fans will welcome this story of romance, yearning, and, finally, empowerment. It could only happen in the summer.

My review:


Rating: 4 stars
Date read: early August, 2013
Source: won giveaway on Mary Had a Little Book Blog (Thank you, Mary)

I'm not sure how I would go about writing a review for this. This won't take place of one of my favorite Sarah Dessen books, but darn, it was still a good book. A beautiful one tooyes, my eyes watered a teeny bit after finishing. Great books make me emotional. The best books leave a bit of a lingering affect on me when I finish them, and The Moon and More did that.

I want to keep this review short. There are times when a book just needs to speak for itself. I loved the characters (except for one) and familiar setting (which was from other Dessen books). I loved the focus on family and change. I loved the development of certain characters over the course of the story. And, of course, I enjoyed the style of writing.

I highly recommend reading this book, but not only this one. I suggest trying out a few of Sarah Dessen novels, and if you decide you like them, I would read them all. That's what I have done.

4 comments:

  1. This is a book I have seen so many reviews of. Sarah Dessen seems to be taking over the contemporary industry and I still have not read one of her books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, it does seem that way! You should read at least one of her books. Like This Lullaby (my favorite). :)

      Delete
  2. Sarah Dessen seems to be a pretty popular author when it comes to these YA contemporary romances. I read one of her books, Along for the Ride, and wasn't much of a fan. Might pick this one up though cause the cover is just so pretty =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only recently started reading Sarah Dessen books and I love them! This is one I haven't gotten to yet, but I'm glad to see you give it a high rating. I've still got about 6 to read, but I plan on reading them all. I can't believe I didn't start sooner! I love the title and the cover of this one!

    ReplyDelete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.