Friday, August 23, 2013

Review ~ A Taylor-Made Life by Kary Rader

Genre: YA contemporary romance
Series and number: N/A
Number of pages: 216
Edition: ebook
Link to Goodreads page

Goodreads description:

They lived the life they were given; they loved the life they made.

Cheerleader Taylor Smith doesn’t want to die a virgin. Unfortunately, if the terminally-ill leukemia patient doesn't find a lover or a stem-cell match within months, her fear will become reality. When her cancer mentor is revealed to be a hottie entrepreneur from California, it seems fate might finally be on her side.

Tech-geek Gavin Taylor has everything he ever wanted, except someone to grieve for him when he's gone. With his melanoma cancer beyond the help of his riches, he agrees to participate in a cancer patient mentoring program where he's matched with a dying teen from Texas. Despite his immediate attraction, the Silicon Valley whiz intends only to provide friendship and happy memories to the beautiful, young woman who is determined to win his love.

When it's discovered that his frozen sperm and her harvested eggs could lead to a cure, Taylor's mother offers to be a surrogate. And Gavin must decide if he can risk the heart he has never given and a child he'll never know to a girl he just met.

My review:

Rating: 2.5 stars
Date read: August 13 to 15, 2013
Source: I received a copy of this book from the author in return for an honest review

I went into this book fully expecting to cry my eyes out. This book features two cancer patients that fall in love . . . obviously, something bad was going to happen. It was a given that I would cry--after all, I'm the Queen of Crying While Reading Books. Also, so many people gave this book high ratings and said in their reviews that it made them cry a lot.

. . . I did not cry one single tear while reading A Taylor-Made Life.

Why, though? There was something about this book that I didn't like. It felt a bit off. There was an insta-love that didn't seem as . . . genuine as it should have been (I'm really tolerant of insta-loves, by the way, so it was weird that this one didn't feel right). It felt too rushed—and a bit too cheesy—for my taste, as did most most of the book. So many things happened in the short page span that it had, and it was a bit too much for me. (I'm generally disappointed with novels under 250 pages long, so it's not surprising when a short book isn't fulfilling.)

Overall, I did like the book, and did enjoy reading despite the things I disliked . . . but I was disappointed. I had high hopes for this one because so many others just loved this book to pieces, but compared to all of the fantastic tearjerkers I have read, a few of them even featuring cancer, this one didn't stand out as one of them.

2 comments:

  1. It sucks that this book didn't live up to your expectations. I hate it when it wastes your time, but damn it's a short book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pretty excited about this one for a few months. When I saw the opportunity to read it as part of ARR program on a GR group, I jumped on it. When I got around to reading it, I just noticed more things that I didn't like than the things that I actually did like. I'm really disappointed that I didn't enjoy reading it that much.

      Short books do take less time to read, but since so many of them leave me feeling unfulfilled, I prefer taking the extra time to read books with more pages.

      Delete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.