Thursday, August 22, 2013

Review ~ The White Lilac by Christina J. Adams

Genre: YA dystopia
Series and number: N/A
Number of pages: 334 (for Kindle edition)
Edition: ebook
Link to Goodreads page

Goodreads description:

From the day 15-year-old Caryn Tobin watched her best friend drown, she has carried two weights: a fear of water and the responsibilities of the oldest candidate in the Compound, a leading power on Beta Earth. Caryn is determined to live up to her friend’s memory, even if it means forcing herself to train in the water every day in order to protect the other girls so they can live and dream.

After nearly 3,000 years on the first colonized planet, there is still a deadly toxin in the air poised to wipe out the world’s population and it is the Compound’s purpose to train candidates from birth to gather the underwater cure. All the candidates compete for the chance to save the world, but only one can win and the winner will not survive collecting the cure. Caryn has to win. It is the price she must pay to atone for her part in the drowning.

Yet moments after sealing her own fate, Caryn is offered an opportunity to see the planet and leave the Compound for three days. In the city she meets Kai, a 16-year-old street kid, who is searching for answers to his past. They form an unlikely friendship and Caryn realizes she has dreams of her own. Her decision is further complicated when she discovers the Compound has been experimenting on the very people they are sworn to cure. Now she must choose between her sense of duty and her heart, with the fate of the world hanging in the balance.

My review:

Rating: 2 stars
Date read: August 7 to 12, 2013
Source: I recieved this book from the author in return for an honest review

It's hard to like a book when very little of it grabs a hold of my attention. The best I can describe this books would be that it's . . . a bit slippery—like my attention never wanted to settle on the words in front of me. There were some  interesting parts and concepts, but the bulk of the book let me thinking that I would end up writing a DNF review. Instead, I powered through and hoped for the best. Unfortunately, the book only became marginally more interesting as it went on, but it still failed to grasp my attention.

Overall, I probably would have liked this book more if I connected more with it, but I didn't. It was more of a personal disinterest, so I'm not saying it was a bad book—it really wasn't a bad book. It just didn't appeal to me.

2 comments:

  1. aww I'm so sorry you didn't enjoy White Lilac! I understand your reasons and I don't like it when characters are not relatable. I read this last year..the early days of my bloggy life lol.. and I remember I liked it but I didn't 'love' it. I agree how it wasn't bad; there's just a lot room for improvement.

    -leigh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. There is a lot of room for improvement. It had potential to be great, but I just couldn't get into it.

      Delete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.