Monday, August 19, 2013

The Lineup (3) ~ John Green's Books


It's time for another Lineup! The first one I did featured Sarah Dessen's books, and the second featured Cassandra Clare's. For this week's Lineup, I struggled a bit with finding which author to feature. I contemplated ordering Richelle Mead's or Scott Westerfeld's books from most to least favorite, but . . . I don't think I'm ready to do that. Trying to pick favorites and least favorites out of either author's books would just be too tough for me to do right now, so I pushed the ideas away and finally decided on an extraordinary author that you have probably heard of.

John Green's Books
********************************************************

Paper Towns
I am in love with this book. I've read it a few times, and it has never failed to blow me away. It's one of the many books that has owned a special place in my heart ever since I first picked it up. It's an amazing book that I just clicked with. The quote on the front of the cover pretty much sums up why this is one of my all time favorite books: it is "profoundly moving." It's also hilarious—the road trips is one of the funniest parts I've ever read in a book.

The Fault in Our Stars
Some of you may know that books have the power to make me very emotional. I have recently decided I should be granted the title of Queen of Crying While Reading Books because I don't know anyone else who gets more emotional over books than I do (I'm not much of a crier outside of books and movies, though). I reread this book earlier this year and I thought it wouldn't impact me very much since I knew what was coming . . . but it was even worse the second time around. 

When my best friend read TFIOS . . . 
My friend read this book a little before I reread it. I believe it only took her a few days to read the entire thing, and she could barely tear herself away from it at school. She read during breaks, lunch, and classes. During a pep assembly, I even saw her reading the book in her grade's section of the gym, which was a huge surprise because even I have never done that. Towards the end of school one day, she came up to me in tears and told me how she finished reading it and started crying over it in her previous class. She's not very big into reading, so I love that TFIOS had such a big impact on her too. It shows that the book can tug at the heartstrings of bookworms and non-bookworms alike. 


Quotes
Paper Towns and TFIOS are full of quotable moments. I still have the notes full of page numbers and shortened quotes (ex. page 6 "Here's . . . rat.") and those sticky-things-that-I-absolutely-cannot-remember-the-name-of marking the place of some quotes in both books. TFIOS doesn't have as many as it used to, though, because I already typed up other spots I had marked up. 

Looking For Alaska
Yes. If you are wondering if this book made me cry too, you would be correct.  This is also a super amazing John Green book that I love to pieces. Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of this one and I've only read it once.  Now I really want to reread it.  Usually, a book becomes one of my all time favorites after I've read it at least two or three times, and I think this one can join the other ones on that list.

An Abundance of Katherines
This is a pretty quirky read, and I really enjoyed it. I don't know if anyone other than John Green would have been able to pull off this story. I also don't have a copy of this one and I also have only read it once. That, and the fact that I didn't think it was amazing like the other three, is why this book is on the bottom of the stack (I know, it's such a huge Lineup).
********************************************************
I'm a little surprised that I've only read four John Green books. It seems like I've read more, but I think since three of them were absolutely amazing, they hold large enough significance that they make this Lineup feel longer than it actually is. 

That's this week's Lineup! I'm thinking of a non-author one next week, so keep an eye out for it. 

Before you go, I have some questions for you:
Have you read any of John Green's books? Did you love them too? Did any of them make you cry? This author is one of my favorites, and I would love to know what you think of his work. 

18 comments:

  1. I'm probably one of the only people that wasnt that impacted by TFIOS 😦 idk why but I didn't connect with anyone in anyway. I think I will actually enjoy the movie more. I haven't tried any of his other books yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's actually a lot of people who weren't affected by the book. I think it just depends on the reader's preferences.

      I actually am not looking forward to the movie very much. I'm not looking forward to many of the upcoming movies based on books, though.

      Delete
  2. I recently read TFIOS and I knew that it was a book that made many, many people cry. So while reading, I kept commenting how I read a certain amount and still didn't cry and even remember being halfway done with the book and failing to cry. Then ... something happened (a moment I will never forget) and I bawled like a baby. I had a feeling it was coming, but when it actually happened, I couldn't stop crying. And although I cried and was upset about what happened, I still loved the book.

    I also read Paper Towns (a while ago) and can recall enjoying it, especially the mystery, free-spirited aspect, but I forgot what happened and so will definitely need to re-read it asap.

    I have Looking for Alaska and An Abundance of Katherines on my TBR list, but of the ones I read, I definitely would say TFIOS is my favorite John Green book thus far.

    And I totally agree, John Green is one of my absolute favorite authors of all time.

    I really enjoyed this week's Lineup and look forward to more Lineups in the future. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes the books that make us the most upset are those that we like the most. They leave a big mark.

      I'm glad you liked the Lineup. :)

      Delete
  3. Totally agree with you here. Paper Towns is my absolute favourite of his work... I just hold a certain place in my heart for it! I love tfios, Looking For Alaska and AAOK too of course... plus Will Grayson, Will Grayson is hilarious! I'm receiving Let It Snow for review, so soon I will have read all of his books! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read Will Grayson, Will Grayson. I will one day. It's by John Green, so it's a must.

      Delete
  4. Even non-readers can read TFIOS, because to me, John Green's writing is very simplistic but not at the same time. But I find this is a good thing as it enables everyone to share the feels that this book creates.
    Brilliant review as always!

    http://mycrazybookishworld.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes, simple is the best way to go. :)

      Delete
  5. I love TFiOS and An Abundance of Katherines! I haven't read Looking for Alaska or Paper Towns yet, I'm waiting for them to come into my library. I have Will Grayson, Will Grayson waiting on my shelf for me! :)

    Charli x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really didn't expect to love TFiOS as much as I did, as it's not what I usually read! But now I can't wait to read the rest of John Greens books! great post :)

    Yasmin x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm glad you liked TFIOS. :)

      Delete
  7. I've loved Paper Towns and to be precise, I loved Margo. I'm about to finish An Abundance of Katherines which has already been so special to me. And as soon as the book is finished I plan to read TFIOS. And for this your lineup (and reviews) is a great help.
    Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margo was a great character. I really hope you like TFIOS! I think you will.

      Delete
  8. I absolutely LOVE anything written by John Green. It's so hard to pick a favorite of his books, but for me, it's probably a toss up between TFIOS and LOOKING FOR ALASKA. By the way, I love your blog. I'm a new follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for following! It's pretty tough to pick between TFIOS and Looking For Alaska. They're both fantastic books.

      Delete
  9. I've only read The Fault in Our Stars, but have heard such great things about him I want to read more. I already picked up a copy of Looking For Alaska so hopefully I can get to it soon! All of them sound great though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! I hope you enjoy that book. All of his books really are as great as they sound. :)

      Delete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.