Thursday, August 22, 2013

Throwback Thursday (1) ~ The Book That Started It All

Throwback Thursday is hosted by Crystal at Crystal in Bookland. It's a weekly post where you showcase books from the past that are near and dear to your heart and tell a little about why you liked it. 

This is my first Throwback Thursday post. Hopefully, I'll like this post enough to participate every Thursday. Most of my throwbacks will be books I read in middle school because I don't have very many I really loved before that point. 

Let's start with the book that started it all, shall we? 

The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman 

Goodreads description:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Here lives an orphaned ward named Lyra Belacqua, whose carefree life among the scholars at Oxford's Jordan College is shattered by the arrival of two powerful visitors. First, her fearsome uncle, Lord Asriel, appears with evidence of mystery and danger in the far North, including photographs of a mysterious celestial phenomenon called Dust and the dim outline of a city suspended in the Aurora Borealis that he suspects is part of an alternate universe. He leaves Lyra in the care of Mrs. Coulter, an enigmatic scholar and explorer who offers to give Lyra the attention her uncle has long refused her. In this multilayered narrative, however, nothing is as it seems. Lyra sets out for the top of the world in search of her kidnapped playmate, Roger, bearing a rare truth-telling instrument, the compass of the title. All around her children are disappearing—victims of so-called "Gobblers"—and being used as subjects in terrible experiments that separate humans from their daemons, creatures that reflect each person's inner being. And somehow, both Lord Asriel and Mrs. Coulter are involved.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Here's the story:

It was my twelfth birthday. I was in sixth grade. My mom bought me a book with an awesome cover--which she has always told me she bought because she liked the polar bear. It was the big book! There were over 400 pages, and I hadn't read a book with that many pages before. I must have read it quickly, though, because I returned it to Walmart. 

That sounds odd, doesn't it? I had returned the book I'm featuring today. Why the heck would I do that? 

I wanted that thing------------------------------>>

My mom and I were shopping in Walmart, and I came across this thing--this massive book that . . . had all three books of the trilogy in it. I had to have it, so struck a deal with my mom, and traded the now small looking book one with the 900+ page one that had a super awesome cover and the next two books I needed to read in the series included in it. 

Okay, story time is over. Why is this book near and dear to my heart?
I consider The Golden Compass to be the book that truly opened my eyes to the amazing world of books. It's the one that converted me into a serious bookworm. I loved everything about it—Lyra, the daemons, the world, the adventure, the polar bear—and wanted to explore more books. And that is what I did, as you can tell because almost six years down the line, I am here talking about this book on a blog dedicated to books and my love of them. 

Before I end this, I also want to mention that the author and I share a birthday, which makes the book even more special.

That's it for my first Throwback Thursday! Have you read this book? What did you think of it?

If you have your own post, please leave a link in the comments. Thank you. :)

5 comments:

  1. I tried to read this book a few years ago and I just didn't get into it. :-( I think it was because I was older though, early 20s. I think I would of enjoyed it at a you her age.

    Thanks for participating!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting!

      This book isn't for everyone. There are quite a few people who just never could get into it.

      Delete
  2. I LOVED HDM! I also had to return my first copy because I got The Amber Spyglass for Christmas or a birthday. I was surprised to realize it was #3! Such a lovely series. I have to pretend the movie doesn't exist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhh! I loved this book!! It was too bad that the movie turned out to be no where's near as good!! This is such a great book to spotlight!! Awesome choice!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such an awesome tag. I haven't read The Golden compass yet but even I know the movie was bad. I really need to get around to reading it as so many people have.

    ReplyDelete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.