Sunday, August 25, 2013

Your Requests, My Responses ~ Physical Books V.S E-Books


This is something new I would like to try out, but it requires your input. 

When it comes to discussion topics, I blank. I can hardly ever come up with anything interesting to write about. One day, this idea just popped into my head. What if I got my readers to submit the topics they would like to hear my thoughts on and I would write about whatever they came up with? It solves the problem of coming up with an idea, and it includes you guys. I like to include other people as much as I can, whether it's for a school group project or just this blog, so this is the perfect solution. 

Enough of that. Let's move onto the first topic.

"Physical Books V.S E-Books" 
Submitted by Erika, a blogger at The Red Bookmark
Thank you for submitting the first topic, Erika!

I could spend forever telling you the pros and cons of both physical books and ebooks, but I'm not going to do that. I think most of you already know why it's useful to have an ereader and why physical books are great to have, so I'll just talk a little about each and then spotlight a couple of my favorite things about both options.

Some Thoughts on Physical Books

A book is just that: a book with real pages connected to a spine that is connected to a front and back cover. You can open it, close it, carry it, smell it, pet it, throw it (please don't), cut it (again, please don't), and so much more. Physical books are what fills the libraries and the book stores. They're what make up our own overflowing bookshelves. 

All the benefits of reading on an ereader cannot overcome the love of physical books that has built up for so long. At least, it won't for awhile.

Why Physical Books Are So Important
Accompanied by Visual Aids

Part 1 - Text Marking
I didn't want you to see what my somewhat correct
prediction was, so I covered that up. To spoilery.
I read The Book Thief for class. We had to text mark and take notes in our books or on separate sheets of paper. Having the actual book, instead of a digital one, made this task so much easier. I could write notes, highlight words, draw pictures. I could use a bunch of different colored pens--pink for creative language, blue for German words or phrases, orange for vocab, and green or black for general notes. Also, one of my favorite parts, I could write at an angle to fit my words in the margins. I can't do that on my Kindle. I know some people find note-taking on an ereader really convenient, but I prefer to write hand write my thoughts.

Part 2 - Art
I don't know about everybody else, but it's so much easier to admire the artwork on book covers when you can hold the real thing instead just seeing it on a screen. Plus, I have a Kindle Touch. All of the covers are in black and white. They're no where near as gorgeous as the ones that you can to your bookshelf.
I love it when I can find books like this.
Also, have you ever come across books with illustrations in them? Don't they look so much better on paper? 

Keith Thompson illustrated the Leviathan series. The drawings add so much to the series. A lot of the work is placed alongside the text of the book. Others take up entire pages.
Behemoth by Scott Westerfeld
There are books where the inside covers are illustrated, like this one. (Check the inside of Shadow and Bone and Siege and Storm too. It's the same artist.)
Inside the front cover of Goliath by Scott Westerfeld
Some books have little drawings at the beginning of their chapters.
One of the chapter illustrations in Magyk by Angie Sage
Other books, like Amy & Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson include cool things like menus and playlists along with the story. I originally read the book for free on Pulse It, but I decided to buy a copy later because I wanted a physical book with all the cool things inside it.

Now, The Other Half
Some Thoughts on Ebooks

Ebooks, ereaders, online books--they haven't been around for very long. And yet, they have became hugely popular. A lot more people read ebooks than they did a few years ago (at least, it feels like it). There's tons of free ones available on Amazon. There's a lot of deals or inexpensive reads. You can read them on phones, computers, and ereaders. You can upload hundreds of them on a lightweight device. You can buy ebooks at a click of a button . . . I can go on and on. We are in a digital age, and with that comes digital alternatives to things like physical books. New technology is constantly being developed to make our lives easier and more efficient. Ebooks will continue to become more popular and more widely used. 

Will they become more loved or preferred over physical books? Maybe one day, but that day isn't today. 

Why Ebooks Are the Best Option For Me at the Moment
Accompanied by No Visuals

Part 1 - Future
When I first decided I wanted an ereader, my thoughts were of the future. More specifically, college. I have a ton of books on my bookshelf, but I know I won't be able to take them with me when I leave for school. A few, yes, but not a whole lot. With my Amazon account, I can build up my digital library so that when I do go college next year, I can bring with me a couple hundred books that will only take up as much space as my Kindle does. So . . . ebooks are incredibly helpful to me right now. 

Part 2 - Money
Most of the time, I buy at the lowest price I can find. I grew up learning how to manage my money wisely, so I always look at the best deals and compare them to others before I make a purchase. Ebooks are very cheap (most of the time), so most of the books I've bought recently have been for my Kindle. In doing that, I've been able to save whatever money I didn't spend on a physical copy and set it aside for more books or something else. 

Well, now you know what my favorite things about both options are. I love both ebooks and physical books. However, you may be wondering . . .

What do I like best?


Ultimately, I would have to side with Liesel. 
If you don't know who that is, go read The Book Thief.

Other Thoughts on the Subject
Remember when I said I liked to include people? Well, here's something else I plan to do with this post. For every topic, I'll request statements from other people through Twitter and/or Goodreads about what they think of the topic given. For the first time doing this, I gathered five statements from bloggers on Twitter. (Later, I'll just have three for each topic.)
*Please excuse any little grammar issues. Most of these were sent through Twitter DMing.

"I really like reading on my Kindle, sure it's portable and you have privacy, but the best thing is the ability to hold it or prop it up w/o having to struggle to prevent a page from turning or keep the book from falling. However, I like shelving books I read, smelling them (yes.. this is a reason haha), the ability to easily skim earlier chapters for clarity w/o having to search or guess a page location. All in all, I like both. Sometimes I choose eBooks if it's much cheaper, the book is old and out of circulation; or extremely bulky and a nuisance to tote around (i.e Stephen King Novels). If I love the story, I'll usually just purchase a physical copy. After all, it helps support the author."
- @The Book Feed
Blogs at The Book Feed

"There are only two reasons I like e-books: they are easily accessible and they don't break. (Seriously I've dropped my kindle down the stairs and its in one price. But then there is the fact that nothing can replace an actual copy. For some reason they just feel right when you hold them. They also smell awesome! I think that I definitely will always read the majority of my books on my kindle purely for money reasons. I like to get as much as possible for my money and paying 1.99 instead of the cost of a hard copy is way better."
- Fly to the Sky from @Read_LiveGreen

"Personally, I prefer physical books as I like the feel and smell of them, as well as the covers, and the fact that you can read them whenever you want to without charge. However, ebooks are easier to travel with, and can be read easily in the dark. Though I personally prefer physical, I do use ebooks and can see the appeal. I like to use both!"
- Charli from @Charli_TAW
Blogs at To Another World

"I am - and always will be - a lover of physical books. For a start, I don't even known an e-reader, and there's just something about holding a real book in your hands that is so much nicer than holding something like a Kindle! The smell of a new book, the feel of the pages, being able to see how far along you are in the book...I just love them. Sure, physical books take up more space and even I agree that e-readers are more practical, but I'm firmly a fan of physical books! :)"
- Amber from @MileLongBookS

"I will ALWAYS love a physical book over an e-book. I just love the feel of holding the book while reading. The smell of a new book. BUT my favorite thing of all are the COVERS. I'm a cover fanatic. I will buy books simply for the cover, I don't even have to read the premise. YES I've done it before. Luckily I haven't ran into a problem that the book was terrible or anything. LOL But while I love my physical books, e-books are tremendously convenient! I love that I can put my iPad mini in my purse and all my books are right there with me. I also love the highlight feature. I'm a big quote person so this is so handy while reading and taking notes for things I want to remember when I do a review. I'm REALLY bad about buying an e-book then falling in love with it so I HAVE to have the physical book. But when push comes to shove I would definitely chose a physical book over an e-book.....every time. :)"
- Crystal from @CrystalBookLand

Thank you for reading! If you would like to submit a topic for me to create discussion post for, please submit it here.
You can submit anything from top ten lists to an interview type question to just a X vs. Y like this one was. I'll try to create a post for each submission, but it may take awhile to do so. 

What do you prefer?
Physical books or ebooks?

12 comments:

  1. Great discussion. Sunny and I did the same sort of post:
    http://mycrazybookishworld.blogspot.com.au/2013/07/two-divas-bookish-discussion-ebooks-vs.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did such an awesome job with this Kaitlin!!! Great idea too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you'll submit a topic sometime. I like the idea too.

      Delete
  3. Love the post and I'm happy that I got to contribute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you were able to contribute too. :)

      Delete
  4. Great post! I definitely prefer physical books :) However, I do see why so many people love ebooks. They are very easy to carry around and store in one location. I do read some books on my iPad, but I just can't replace physical copies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think most people prefer physical copies. They may really like ebooks, but they still don't think they are better than real books.

      Delete
  5. Awesome post! It was great hearing the writer's view points on weather Ebooks or physical books are better. A good thing about eBook - they are are so much more private.


    Sarah @ Kitties Like Books Too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true. Ebooks are more private than physical copies.

      Delete
  6. First of all, the idea you came up with is great. Congratulations for that. :)
    The first topic is worth discussing. And you're right, there's so much to say about the pros and cons of both. But the way you summarized and discussed it is awesome. Great job, once again. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad you like the idea. I hope I'll get submissions so I'll be able to create posts for it regularly.

      Delete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.