Friday, September 13, 2013

Guest Post ~ Arianne Writes About Cover Comparisons

Please welcome my guest, Arianne, to Reading is My Treasure today! She has a great post for you. Sit back, snack on some popcorn, and enjoy the post.

Thank you so much for being my guest today, Arianne!

Cover Comparisons with Guest Poster Arianne!
We all judge books by their covers. It's difficult not to! A book cover delivers an instant message to anyone who looks their way. It has to say: "Hey, you, booklover! Over here! I'm exactly what you're looking for. Check out my cool font! Look at how my cover depicts my plot! You should read me. You should go out and buy me and recommend me to all your friends. You'll love me."
Covers play a huge role in the marketing of a book. Covers can define the books they belong to. They narrow the focus of the target audience and give readers something to lock onto.
But covers aren't just for soulless marketing and publishing ploys! They're one of the best things about reading. They're a reader indulgence - can any one of us truly say we've never picked up a book and fallen in love with it simply because of the cover? It's that moment when you say, "Yes. You're exactly what I'm looking for. I'm going to buy you and read you and love you."
The past couple of years have been really great for book covers in general, but recently I've been noticing some real trends in YA - so I thought I'd do a round-up of the very best (and a few of the worst!) for my guest post here at Reading is My Treasure.
The Ones You'll Either Love or Hate:
Random Girl Showing Us Her Back
I actually like this trend. I much prefer it over Random Girl in a Big Dress or Random Girl Lying on the Ground. Done well, this trend shows that girls have a backbone - they're intense, powerful, compelling, intriguing, isolated, troubled, determined people. They're not about to roll over for some guy! It’s a very classic and simplistic style of cover, but it can be done in many different ways.
My favourite: Struck by Jennifer Bosworth
Reflections (and Trains) as Metaphors of Deep Thought and Contemplation
These covers are thoughtful and very modern, but make no mistake - the books within are anything but boring. A book with a cover like this is usually well-represented by the chosen image, but sometimes they're missing that special spark which can really capture a reader's attention.
My favourite: Just One Day by Gayle Forman
The Ones That Jump Out From The Shelf:
Colour Trends
Every year, new colours rise to the fore of the book cover industry. The past couple of years have been all about the blues and greens – two trends I am all for!
My favourite: The Summer Prince by Alana Dawn Johnson
Colour Blocking
An extension of colour trends is colour blocking, where bright colours and fonts take precedence over texture or illustration. There's something really memorable about a book that's so brave and bold - they're almost always worth a look. They catch the eye but leave much of the plot to the imagination, and what’s more, they stop debate about the use of cover models entirely!
The Ones That Nobody Seems to Notice:
Guys On Book Covers - with girls, without girls, with guys, without guys, whatever
Seriously, where are the (fully dressed) guys on YA book covers? I love tall, dark and handsome as much as the next person, but YA should be about equality, people! Some of my favourite books have male perspectives (some of them even have the tricky combination of female writer, male voice); some of my favourite book characters are male; some of my favourite books have dual or multi-gender perspectives. I want to see these things represented in the covers of young adult fiction more.
My favourite: Both of them!


The Ones That Kind of Look Like Adult Books But Aren't:
Objects, Small Author Names, Half Bodies and Other Body Parts
Some of my favourite covers have been done in this simple, stunning style. They do more than hint at deeper or mature themes. They create a more sophisticated look and open up the novel to a wider audience.
My favourite: Laura Jarratt’s By Any Other Name
Underwater Photography
I love underwater photography. I'd even love to do an underwater photoshoot, but I don't always love underwater photography on book covers. It looks fantastic, but it's overdone.
Sometimes, there's just no other cover that would do the book justice - but when the underwater effect has so little to do with the book itself, it’s lost on readers who just want to get on with the story.
My favourite: Ten Tiny Breaths by K.A. Tucker


The Ones With Titles that Say It All:
Font Grids
This is one of my favourite trends of the year. Other trends have sparked over a number of years but in 2013 gridded titles have really come into their own.
My favourite: This Song Will Save Your Life by Leila Sales
The One We Should Probably Be Seeing A Little Less Of:
Pretty White Girls in Big Dresses
There are so many books I could name and shame in this trend, but I think we all know that this one’s just getting old now. Come on, give us something fresh and new instead!
Bonus Round: The Ones That Are Kind of Random But Let's Roll With It Anyway:
Yellow Font
What is it with yellow font in 2013? Some of the biggest dystopian and post-apocalyptic novels of the year have been brightened up using this colour - a stark contrast to the dark worlds in which the books are set.
And there’s more – including some contemporaries:
My favourite: This Is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E. Smith
There you have it - a round-up of some big trends in YA fiction this year. Do you have a favourite cover or trend? Let us know in the comments!


8 comments:

  1. Nice cover comparison. I like struck for the first cover comparison. I like the lightning in the background. Great post! I totally agree

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a cool post!!
    I love looking a trends in covers (caus I'm cool like that!) and comparing them! Sometimes covers look great but when you see them up next to a better cover they just don't wake the cut!! I feel like I'm the only person in the world who doesn't like the September girls cover!!! I think it's so ugly but everyone else LOVES it!!!
    I feel like girls in dresses have gotten a bit overdone too!!!
    Great guest post!! Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The September Girls doesn't look as good as all the others. I like it a little bit.

      Delete
  3. What a awesome post! I love a good cover and i find cover comparisons and showcases so interesting to read. Many say 'Never Judge a Book by it's cover' but sadly that is something I tend to do as I'm a absolute sucker for pretty covers.

    - Sunny :) my haul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to not judge a book by its cover. It's the first thing we see and it's usually what either grabs our attention or loses our interest.

      Delete
  4. I love your post! Wow, all of these book covers are similar. I really like the color blocking though. What I don't really like is how girls on the cover are becoming a trend. Idk, it's just too common. The book covers I would like to see more are guys on the cover :-) wink wink lol.

    -leigh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be awesome to see more guys on covers. :)

      Delete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.