Friday, September 6, 2013

Guest Post ~ Charli from To Another World: My Bookish Pet Peeves

This is a part of my September theme, Internationally Bookish, where I'll be featuring bloggers from outside the US among other things. My guest today is from the UK.

Everybody has pet peeves, right? We bookworms have certain things about books that we can't stand, and I have a guest here to talk about her pet peeves. Let's give a big, warm welcome to Charli! I would like to thank her for writing this post. It's kicking off the big series of Friday guest posts that I have lined up.

Enjoy the post, and feel free to share your own bookish pet peeves in the comments!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hey! I'm Charli and I blog over at To Another World and I'm doing a guest post here today about my bookish pet peeves!

My first one is insta-love. Like many readers, I can't stand this "love at first sight" thing! In a few books, where the theme is right, is feels ok, such as Delirium, by Lauren Oliver. (You can read my review of it here!) So, I'm one of many book bloggers who can't stand insta-love. It's hard for me to actually finish a book when this happens.

Next is when the plot jumps from one thing to another. For instance, if two characters are in an argument one page and have made up the next. I can't stand it!

I also don't like books that can be slightly demeaning to women. So, when a girl almost commits suicide because a girl she isn't even married to leaves her for her safety. *cough*Twilight*cough. Katniss lead an army, Ginny fought Bellatrix, and Bella... cried her eyes out. I don't have anything against people who like Twilight, but I personally don't like it. Don't get me wrong, it's not the only book which does it, so please
don't kill me! Just my personal opinion.

Lastly is stereo-types. I hate it when wolves have to be all hairy and vampires have to hate garlic. I don't mind clique stereotypes, such as geeks, jocks, etc, because those are things that actually happen! But I hate stereo-types about creatures like those. Rooted is a book that absolutely smashes those stereo-types. (You can read my review of it, and an interview with the author, here!

So, those are my personal bookish pet peeves. Thanks for reading, and thanks to Kaitlin for letting me do a guest post over here on her fabulous blog! I hope you come check out my blog, and you can follow me on Twitter, @Charli_TAW!

Charli x

4 comments:

  1. I'm currently reading the sequel to Delirium and I can totally see where you're coming from lol And I was a little iffy about the Twilight series. It was up and down for me and Bella was my least favorite character! Great post :)

    Janina @ Synchronized Reading

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand you! The thing I hate the most about books is insta *wait for it* LOVE. GRRRRR. It makes me furious and want to throw the book at the wall. It's just so annoying and been overdone a lot with books.

    -leigh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It actually doesn't annoy me as much, but there are cases where insta love gets really annoying.

      Delete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.