Saturday, September 28, 2013

Guest Post ~ Meredith from Pandora's Books: Time Travel in YA

Please give a warm welcome to this week's guest poster! Meredith is a blogger from Pandora's Books, and if you don't already know who she is, go visit her blog and say hi! She's an awesome person, and I'm glad to have her here today (this is actually her first guest post). She's also a serious tweeter, so I would also recommend you go follow her on her Twitter account.

********************************************************
Time Travel in YA – Meredith Maresco

A few years ago, I read a YA book with time travel in it. Unfortunately, I did not enjoy it at all. I didn’t enjoy the plot, several things that happened throughout the book, or the ending. It’s rare for me to dislike a book as strongly as I did this one. I won’t name the book, but I will say that it is a popular YA trilogy now.

I stayed away from YA books with time travel for a long time after that - far, far away from them. Even ones that looked like they had potential. I just didn’t trust them after having such a bad experience.

And then something pretty awesome happened. As with most awesome things, this has a back-story.

In June, I played a game on Twitter, hosted by Foreword Literary called Foreword Jeopardy. They ask questions, and the first person to reply with the correct answer, using the Foreword Jeopardy hasthag, wins a prize. Well, I won! What did I win, you ask? (Since this seemingly has nothing to do with time traveling... I promise, I’m getting to the point!) I won an eARC of Taste the Heat by Rachel Harris.

Now, I don’t normally read adult romance and I don’t normally read contemporary. But Taste the Heat sounded really interesting, so I gave it a shot. And I LOVED it! Rachel Harris is such an amazing writer. The plot, the characters – everything about it was amazing and enjoyable.

Later, I found out Rachel also wrote YA books! I was thrilled to read more of her books, especially since they were YA and I enjoyed Taste the Heat so much! At the time, only one was available: My Super Sweet Sixteenth Century. Which had time travel (See? Told you I’d get to the point!). I was wary of time travel books, but knowing what an amazing writer Rachel is, I wanted to give it a shot, so I added it to my TBR.

And then what happens? I see an announcement on Twitter. Entangled Teen had posted sign-ups for those interested in receiving an eARC of A Tale of Two Centuries, the second book in Rachel’s My Super Sweet Sixteenth Century series. 

So, I’m not sure if someone told me this or if I’m totally making it up, but at the time, I thought you could read these two books out of order. I was under the impression it was more of a companion book than a sequel. So I jumped at the chance to read it! And honestly, I really didn’t get that lost, despite having not read the first book!

What’s the point to this whole long-winded story, you ask? Well, I LOVED A Tale of Two Centuries! Rachel Harris had done it again – an amazing book, amazing plot and great characters! The time travel was hilarious, too – a sixteenth century girl, Alessandra, lands in twenty-first century California, and has to navigate the unfamiliar century with the help of her cousin, Cat (who time-traveled BACK to sixteenth century Italy in the first book) and a hunky bad boy, Austin – And let me tell you, Rachel Harris knows how to write a truly swoon-worthy male love interest!

Rachel renewed my faith in YA books with time travel in a major way! I’ll read anything she writes from here on out! And, thanks to her amazingly awesome writing, I’ll definitely be giving other YA time travel books a shot in the future!

In preparation for this post, I went to Twitter to ask other people which YA time travel books people loved the most. Here are the top five that were recommended to me, ordered based on how many people recommended each book:

  1. Ruby Red by Kerstin Geir
  2. Time Between Us by Tamara Ireland Stone
  3. Tempest by Julie Cross
  4. Hourglass by Myra McEntire
  5. Unraveling by Elizabeth Norris





There were several other books recommended, but these five came up the most.


I think the lesson learned here was this: Sometimes, you read a book and you don’t enjoy it. At all. And it’s unfortunate, but it doesn’t mean you’ll dislike all the books in that particular genre/with that particular topic. If I hadn’t discovered Rachel Harris, I would likely STILL be avoiding time travel books and then I would have missed out on some great books – like Ruby Red, Time Between Us, Unraveling and All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrell (not listed). I haven’t actually read any of these yet, but I WANT to. And before reading A Tale of Two Centuries, I wouldn’t have even bothered picking those books up!


So thank you, Rachel, for being an incredible writer and for opening my eyes to a genre that I might otherwise have missed out on!

Now, tell me in the comments: What is your favorite YA time travel read? And have you guys had a similar experience? Did you read and dislike a book, but then discover another book with a similar topic that you loved? Have any books renewed your faith in certain genres or topics?


********************************************************
My response to Meredith's questions:

I used to think that I didn't love dystopia books because there were three or four books in that genre that I started but didn't finish. Then, sometime over the summer, I realized that most of what I was reading was dystopia, and I realized that I really do love books in that genre.

I don't believe I've read many time travel books, but I here's a couple that I liked:

2 comments:

  1. Meredith!!

    I'm so incredibly honored for the shout out!

    Thank you for reading all my books---I'm so glad you enjoyed them! And I'm glad that my YA series encouraged you to try again with time travel stories. There are so many great ones out there ;)

    You rock, girl. Thank you!!
    xoxo
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are awesome and your books are amazing!!!! <3333

      I'm definitely more open to time travel books now!!! Austin! *Swoons*

      You rock too!!! :) <33

      Delete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.