Saturday, September 14, 2013

Internationally Bookish: Interview #1 ~ Estelle from Reading in the Dark

Hi everyone! As many of you know already, the special theme on Reading is My Treasure is Internationally Bookish! (I just created the banner for it.) One of the things I'm doing is a series of five-question interviews with international bloggers.

My first interview (and my first ever blogger interview) is of Estelle from Reading in the Dark! She's a teen blogger from Australia, and she has a super awesome design on her blog. It's purple and it has a really cute blue owl on the right side and a lot of other cool things that you should see for yourself. 

Enjoy the interview and keep a look out for more throughout this month!

First of all, what was the last five star worthy book you read?
I recently participated in a buddy read of the Fever series by Karen Marie Moning and I loved it so much as I gave all the books 5 stars! However the last YA five star worthy book that I've read would probably be Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor as well as its sequel Days of Blood and Starlight. A few other honourable mentions include Angelfall by Susan Ee and All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill which both received 4.5 stars.
What is one of your favorite places for a book to be set in 
(like country, city, etc.)?
After reading the Fever series and Daughter of Smoke and Bone (<----- strong hint to read them if you haven't already!), Dublin and Prague are both equally fascinating cities with a rich culture and history. They would made such wonderful settings for books I really want to visit those places one day... Also anywhere in Europe is fair game to me.
What Australian YA book do you recommend reading?
I am a terrible Australian book blogger as I actually haven't read much Australian fiction a while! However I definitely recommend The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. Even though it's a historical fiction novel set in Germany, at least the author is Australian heh. In addition, I would recommend anything by Melina Marchetta especially On the Jellicoe Road, The Piper's Son and Finnikin of the Rock. Some newly released Aussie books that have also caught my eye include The First Third by Will Kostakis, Hate is Such a Strong Word by Sarah Ayoub and Every Breath by Ellie Marney (I really suck at this one book/idea thing per question oops)
Have you noticed any particular differences between Australian 
novels and US ones? I feel like there's definitely a few. 
The language/slang is the most obvious one such as the 'prom' vs 'formal' in YA contemporary novels set in high school. I can't name everything here however there are a lot of phrases and words that are quite uniquely Australian. The 'feel' of an Australian novel can be different to a US one. It's quite hard to explain, but I guess the mixture of the vernacular/setting/context overall creates a very distinct reading experience. Despite reading hundreds of books from the US/UK, I definitely feel more connected to Australian books as I often have first hand experience of the various aspects of the novel. Sorry for such having vague answers haha.
Lastly, can you tell me three of the greatest things 
about where you live?
(I'll just assume that this questions refers to the country Australia as a whole)
1. The economy is fairly decent (for now at least). I think we're pretty lucky to have moderate inflation, unemployment, economic growth, an AAA credit rating as well as significantly lower levels of government debt compared to most other developed countries
2. It's a pretty multicultural place and there's a lot of diversity in the population.
3. The beaches are just heaven. Even after traveling to many other countries in the past, nothing ever comes close to ours :)
Thank you for answering my questions!
********************************************************

What did you think of the interview? How would you have answered 
some of the questions I asked?

6 comments:

  1. Haha I find it funny because you're like this person is a international blogger but I always see her at book events with Sunny. Lol great interview. Could I participate one time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be great if you could participate!

      Delete
  2. Great interview! I totally agree about Prague. After I read Daughter of Smoke and Bone, I really wanted to go there. (The same thing happened when I watched Chasing Liberty, Mandy Moore in Prague made me fall in love with the city.) And now I really want to visit an Australian beach!! I thought nothing could beat Florida or the Caribbean's beaches.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent interview, Kaitlin! I find it strange that people can distinguish Australian from American and British novels based on the "feels alone." I swear I couldn't unless I encountered words that would make me determine the race of the author. For example, Australians and British use the word "arse" for "ass" or bloke for "man" or "loads" for "many."

    And Estelle, you forgot to mention that Australians are perhaps one of the friendliest people on the planet. Hahaha. I maybe biased on this one but the company that I am working for is managed by Australians and by the heavens, they're so approachable. The manager heading our department isn't just approachable but he makes us feel that even though he's our manager, he can also be a friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recently read (well, it was a DNF) a book that was Canadian and I had no idea until I encountered a word or place that didn't seem American. So, sometimes there are times where it's really tough to distinguish books. Other books, though, just have that "different" feeling to me.

      Delete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.