Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Review ~ Timepiece by Myra McEntire

*This review may have a tiny spoiler in it.
Genre: YA science fiction/paranormal (with time travel)
Series and number: Hourglass #2
Number of pages: 336
Edition: Kindle ebook
Link to Goodreads page

Goodreads description:

A threat from the past could destroy the future. And the clock is ticking...

Kaleb Ballard was never supposed to be able to see ripples - cracks in time. Are his powers expanding, or is something very wrong? Before he can find out, Jonathan landers, the man who tried to murder is father, reappears. Why is he back, and what, or whom, does he want?

In the wake of Landers' return, the Hourglass organization is given an ultimatum. Either they find Jack and the research he's stolen on the people who might carry the time gene, or time will be altered - with devastating results for the people Kaleb loves most.

Now Kaleb, Emerson, Michael, and the other Hourglass recruits have no choice but to use their unusual powers to find Landers. But where do they even start? And when? And even if they succeed, it may not be enough...

My review:

Rating: 3.5 stars
Date read: August 22 to 23, 2013
Source: Bought

I have a bad case of book amnesia. I'm failing to remember more than small vague moments from Hourglass. Because of that, I didn't enjoy some parts in Timepiece very much, like the concepts and a few of the characters. 

The time-traveling and powers included in this series weren't memorable to me. I went into this book and realized I couldn't remember much about who traveled in time, why they did it, and what the bad guy had done. Even now, after reading this book, these things don't stand out. (I'm not a big fan of time travel books.)

Also, the side characters didn't seem as well developed as they could've been. They didn't stand apart from eachother. Even Em and Michael felt a bit flat and dull. 

However when it came to Kaleb and Lily . . . oh man, I loved them! I liked his POV (every word was his--100 percent first person, male perspective) and his empathy towards others and struggles with his family. He was a likeable guy and I was so happy whenever things worked out for him.

The romance was a nice one. It started with a slap in the face (literally) and grew and developed into a very sweet attraction and relationship. Lily was an awesome character and she and Kaleb fit so well together. 

Overall, the romance and the two characters--Kaleb and Lily--were what I liked most of entire novel. I also liked many of the exciting event that occurred. The concepts and side characters, as well as an odd-feeling ending that I didn't mention before, dampened my enjoyment, though, because I didn't find them to be very interesting. 

I do want to read Infinityglass sometime. According to my five star rating of Hourglass on Goodreads and some of my vague memories of it, I loved the first book. I'm hoping that this book is just one of those disappointing sequels and I will love the rest of the series. 

10 comments:

  1. I gotta say that the covers for this series are always so weird and unique. I also find it weird when you go back to a story after a while and you forget heaps. I really want to try this series because I think it's either you love it or hate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first one is definitely worth reading. I loved that one despite how much I can't remember about it now.

      Delete
  2. It's hard for me to get into time travel books, mainly because I can never find a good one! Also, I take notes when I read, that might help book amnesia. :)

    Sarah @ Kitties Like Books Too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually do that now, but I think I read this over a year ago, when I didn't take notes or even write reviews of books.

      Delete
  3. I've been really curious about these books for quite sometime now. I feel reading this to see about this romance that started off with a slap in the face lol Great review :)

    Janina @ Synchronized Reading

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's a good series, so I do recommend trying it out.

      Delete
  4. The romance sounds great, and I want to start this series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great series. The first one is told from a different POV and focuses on a different couple, but that one is also great.

      Delete
  5. Ugh, disappointing sequels are the worst. Glad the main two characters were wonderful event if the story was forgettable. Fantastic review!

    ReplyDelete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.