Thursday, November 28, 2013

A Discussion on Discussion Posts

I love discussion posts. When I comment on other bloggers discussions, I tend to say a lot more than on reviews or memes. There's just more to comment about and it's really nice to express my opinion in a paragraph or two (or three) about the topic at hand. I also love the idea of writing my own discussion posts. 

The problem?

I can never figure out what to say. I start thinking of a topic and come up with all sorts of ideas of how to go about it and getting really excited about the post, but when I try to put my thoughts into actual words . . . 

Poof!

My idea fly right out of my head.
(Sidenote: This is my very first gif post! I only have a vague idea of who that guy is . . .)

My discussion posts turn into DNFs and never see the light of day. A lot of times, it's because I don't get my thoughts down on paper (er, maybe not paper, but I think you get my point) fast enough and the topic doesn't hold enough of my interest for me to think of anything to write. Other times, I may have a lot to say but won't know where to start, so I lose interest in the post and I just delete and forget about it.

Almost every single one of my discussion ideas have poofed into thin air, but I hope to eventually include more discussions on this blog. It would be a great contribution and I would like to use this space to share more of my opinions on certain topics, not just books. I just need to figure out a way for me to put my thoughts into words.

Do you struggle with discussion posts like I do or are they really easy for you to write? 
Any suggestions on how to beat my discussion post writing problem?

10 comments:

  1. I haven't ventured into discussion posts yet on my blog but I have ideas about them all the time. I think I just spill out all my thoughts into my writing and there you are - you'll have a post! Sometimes I think there's the nervousness of putting your honest feelings and thoughts out there as well too. We just have to remember it's our blog and we can do whatever we want with it.

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a little bit of that nervousness. Or maybe it's doubt. Sometimes, after starting the writing process, the topic doesn't seem as discussion worthy as it was before. Hopefully, both of us will start putting our discussion ideas out there on our blogs soon. :)

      Delete
  2. I've done discussion posts, and I really love writing them. However, I've stopped even though I have a few halfway written up. I'd like to get back to them, but I just don't have the time right now. I think discussion posts are fun and a great way to channel your thoughts. Even if you write just a little bit, you can still have an awesome discussion. I say just go for it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's better if I write shorter discussion posts, like ones the length of this discussion. It's less likely that I'll get bored of the subject. I can write them quicker, too. :) I'll definitely go for it!

      Delete
  3. I love participating in discussion posts, too! I haven't had this problem before. What I do is I just type down my thoughts, even if it's only a sentence or two, save it, and then come back to it later to edit and add more stuff. I like coming back to my discussion post later on in the day because usually I have more ideas to put down. I also like reading other people's discussion posts that are not too long. I get bored on posts that are supeerrrrr loooong so I lose interest (unless it's a topic/book that I really love). I like writing my discussion posts short and straightforward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll need to try writing posts like you do! It might be helpful to write down my thoughts a little bit at a time. This might be very helpful. Thank you, Leigh. :)

      Delete
  4. I've been wanting to do a discussion post,but just don't know where to start with it. It ends up being a Dnf for me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully we can both successfully write one soon!

      Delete
  5. I totally agree with you! (BTW the guy is Matt Smith, he's from Doctor Who) I just never know what to write. I think I'd be better as a vlogger because I always have heaps more to say. Once I start talking I'm on a roll...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I had a feeling he was from Doctor Who. I've never seen the show, though.

      Delete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.