Thursday, November 28, 2013

Early Review ~ Shadow Allegiance by Lacy Yager

Series: Unholy Alliance #2
Genre: YA paranormal
Pages: 170 (for paperback)
Publication date: December 15th, 2013
Publisher: Lacy Williams Books

Goodreads Description: 
A vampire hunter-turned-vampire seeks to destroy her enemies. Until she falls for one of them.

A Chaser born to kill vampires, sixteen-year-old Rachel Campton has grown up in her older brother's shadow. Until she wakes up a vampire, her own mortal foe. She's stronger, faster than her human self, but haunted by bloodlust and the loss of her beloved younger sister. Friendless and lost in enemy territory, Rachel must rely on Alex Wellington, a former nemesis and centuries old vampire who looks like a college football player.

As Rachel goes deep into vamp territory, she learns there is more to the vampire life than killing humans. She also discovers another side to Alex. He is more than a murderer, he is someone that she starts to fall for. Rachel faces the ultimate choice--her new life and unexpected love or the family she left behind, the family that may now want her dead.
Source: I received an e-arc of this book through Netgalley in return for an honest review. Thank you Aspendawn Books for letting me review it!

Sometime in early 2012, I read an ebook I got for free on Amazon. I'm not sure really what pushed me to read it--I think I just chose a random one that sounded interesting. I had no idea I would like the book as much as I did, but I liked it so much that I immediately went online to find out when the next one would come out, but . . . there was no news of it. There was no news of it for a long time, and until I randomly came across it on Netgalley, I had no idea my wish for a sequel was granted. I was really excited to Shadow Allegiance, and although it didn't live up to the greatness that was Unholy Alliance, it was still a good sequel and I'm still hoping to read more in the series. (I really, really hope the author will continue it!)

PACED WELL

One of my biggest problems I've come across with some other smaller published books have been the pacing. In other words, I've read many smaller published (and indie) books that felt too rushed--rushed to the point where development fell short and depth that could've been there wasn't reached. This book, though, didn't have that problem (except for in one area, which I'll explain soon). Despite being a pretty short novel, it wasn't the kind of short that felt too lacking. I usually avoid shorter books because they feel really unfulfilling for me, but in this case, there was only one part that I felt should've been longer and less rushed.

RUSHED ENDING

I felt like the ending came too soon. There were many things I felt could've been tied up or at least visited once more before the end of the book, like Genevieve (a biochemist). It was like she was forgotten. There were a few chapters told from her POV, but then she sort of disappeared from the story before her role was clear (I believe the last mention of her was at the 70 percent mark of the book). Maybe if the author visited Genevieve's part of the story once more, the ending would've felt less rushed.
CHARACTERS

There were a lot of characters with their own POV's featured in the book: Rachel, Alex, Maggie, Lily, Genevieve, and Shane. I had mixed feelings over Rachel and Alex (whose part of the book took place in the UK). I wasn't a huge fan of Alex, who is basically the "bad boy," but I sort of liked him around Rachel, who was a Chaser (AKA vampire hunter) that turned into a vampire. He seemed like a better guy around her.

Maggie and Shane . . . I just love them. I wish they showed up more in the book together. They were one of the biggest reasons why I wanted a sequel so much--they're both really good characters and they are great together. Hopefully the two will show up more in a sequel. They're my favorite characters from the series!
PLOT

This hadn't initially stood out as a review topic before, but now that I've been thinking more of the book and recalling what happened, I had to include it. This book didn't seem to have a well defined plot to it. Rachel and Alex's feeling for one another kind of . . . dominated it. I know a lot of other stuff happened and the book wasn't just about how that couple worked out their feelings, but . . . I can't remember there being another big part of the plot other than that.

OVERALL

Shadow Allegiance was no where as good as the first book in this series. I still liked it because of the good pacing and the familiar characters, but many things were lacking. I still hope that there will be a third book because I really liked the first one and I would love to see a sequel as good, or even better, than it.

That said, even if you aren't very interested in this series after reading this series, try Unholy Alliance out! I highly recommend it. It's a really good book and I don't recall it lacking the things that its sequel had.

My questions for you:

Have you read a free ebook that you completely surprised you?
What do you think of books that are paced to quickly?
Have you ever read a sequel that didn't live up to the book before it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.