Monday, November 18, 2013

Early Review ~ Mafia Girl by Deborah Blumenthal

Series: standalone
Genre: YA contemporary
Pages: 256 (for hardcover)
Publication date: March 1st, 2014
Publisher: Albert Whitman Teen
Goodreads Description: 
What's in a name? Everything if you have my name." At her exclusive Manhattan high school, seventeen-year-old Gia is the most hated/loved girl in school. Why? Her father doesn't have a boss. He is the boss--the capo di tutti cappi, boss of all bosses. Not that Gia cares. But life gets complicated when she meets a cop she calls "Officer Hottie" and feels a suprising chemistry. Then Vogue magazine wants to feature Gia in a fashion spread about real-life bad girls. On top of this, she's running for class president. Can Gia step out from under her dad's shadow and show everyone there's more to her than "Mafia Girl?
Source: I received an e-arc of this book from Netgalley in return for an honest review. Thank you Albert Whitman Teen for letting me read the book.

So . . . this is what it feels like to give a book only one star. I've never done this with anything other than a short story that I got for free on Amazon.

First of all, the writing. The book was so poorly written. From the sentences themselves to the words used to the way the entire book was pieced together—it really distracted me from what was happening in the story and annoyed me at many parts. If the book was written a lot better, maybe I would have liked the book more. Or maybe not. There were two—no, three—other big things that I didn't like about Mafia Girl.

1. The Romance:

I never saw an attraction between Michael and Gia, but apparently there was a very strong one. When he first called her "baby," I felt like asking him, "where, when, and ultimately, why have you developed feeling for her?" I never saw a starting point where their supposed chemistry happened, so later when their relationship grew, I didn't see it as something that fit in with the story. It felt so out of place.

2. Gia:

Gia was such an annoying character. She was very shallow in many parts, and many times, I really didn't like her narration of the story and yada, yada, yada (the "yada, yada, yada" is from the book, by the way). I normally don't get annoyed with main characters because I can often understand the purpose of them being annoying, but as with any rule, there are exceptions.

3. The ending:

The last ten percent or so didn't make much sense to me. There was suddenly a big jump in the romance-focus and the conclusion felt off. It was like the ending statements weren't supported or demonstrated enough in the rest of the book.

Overall, Mafia Girl isn't a book I recommend reading. The biggest improvement that could be made on it would be the writing. If it was just written better, the other things I didn't like might not have seemed as bad and I may have been able to give it a higher rating.


This was my first one-star review. Ever. There's always a first for everything, so my questions for you are these: 

How did your first one-star review go?
Do you find it easy to rate a book really low?
What pushes you to give a book only one star? 

4 comments:

  1. I got this from Netgalley too. Not looking forward to it now... May just read one chapter and decide to skip it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That . . . actually may be the best thing to do. It's so sad that I didn't like the book enough to tell you, "you may actually like it; you should power through it." :(

      Delete
  2. I think I've only rated one book one star too - and for the same reasons. The writing was just so poor that I couldn't bring myself to give it any more. I hated doing it, but unfortunately not every book is good. Guess it's a fact of life. :-(

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.