Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Review ~ The Promise by C.E. Wilson

Series: standalone
Genre: YA paranormal
Pages: 197
Publication date: July 18th, 2013
Publisher: Self
Goodreads 

Goodreads description:
What does it mean to be a human?

Lily Larkin is about to find out when on what should have been a day of great happiness, she is diagnosed with a rare and unbelievable disease. She is shrinking, possibly without limit.

As her life starts to spin out of control and the world starts to grow around her at an uncontrollable rate she is forced to confront her greatest fear - losing the man whom she loved from the moment she saw him. Can they stay together even though she feels her humanity slipping away? Can she trust him with her secret and, as her disease progresses, her safety and even her life? Can she trust herself?

A bittersweet story of love and loss, The Promise is a YA
Paranormal Fantasy that will have you questioning the meaning of your own humanity and the weighing of trust against love.

What will Lily choose?

What would you choose?
Source: I received a copy of this book from the author in return for an honest review.

The Promise isn't your average story of a couple going through a hard time. The main character was shrinkingliterallyand she and her new husband had to learn how to deal with it. They struggled through the widening differences (represented by her height) between them and had to figure out how to make their relationship still work. I really liked the premise of this entire book and I really liked how different it was. It kept me engaged enough for me to complete it without hardly taking a break from it, and I was able to find an important message, or moral, to the whole thing: s

Sometimes, there are too many differences in order to carry out a healthy relationship. Sometimes, it's necessary to let the other person go so they can find someone that would make him or her happier.

I also liked how it ended. In a way, it was happy, though it wasn't your traditional happy ending. That was another thing that set this apart as a different kind of one, and I though the ending was well suited for this story and the message it carried.

However, the a bulk of the book was really repetitive. The couple just had the same argument over and over. The biggest thing that changed was her height. I would've liked to see a bigger variety in the conversations and the events that transpired.

Overall, The Promise was a decent read. It didn't wow me, but it wasn't a huge disappointment. I recommend this if you are looking for something quick and different to read.

6 comments:

  1. The concept of this story is certainly interesting. It sad it was so repetitive because the idea definitely had potential. One thing I have to say is I like the cover. It's really cool. Great review as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The idea is such a cool one! I really enjoyed the fact that the author had such a good idea for a novel. I just wish more was done with it.

      Delete
  2. Sounds interesting, I've read another book from the same author and it was also about little people as well (pixis). Sounds like it's different, but kind of repetitive. Great review Kaitlin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I may have to try that other book sometime. I like the idea of little people and it would be great to find more books about them.

      Delete
  3. This sounds like a really interesting read. I'm sorry that it was so repetitive, though! I'm glad that the ending wasn't typical - that's always fun. ;) Awesome review, girly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love endings that aren't typical. They make a book stand out.

      Thank you!

      Delete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.