Saturday, November 16, 2013

Review ~ Stained by Cheryl Rainfield

Series: standalone
Genre: YA thriller
Pages: 293
Publication date: October 1st, 2013
Publisher: HMH Books for Young Readers

*I receive a small kickback for purchases on Amazon

Goodreads Description: 
An intensely powerful account of a teen, bullied for her port-wine stain, who must summon her personal strength to survive abduction and horrific abuse at the hands of a deranged killer.

Sixteen-year-old Sarah Meadows longs for "normal." Born with a port wine stain covering half her face, all her life she's been plagued by stares, giggles, bullying, and disgust. But when she's abducted on the way home from school, Sarah is forced to uncover the courage she never knew she had, become a hero rather than a victim, and learn to look beyond her face to find the beauty and strength she has inside. It's that-or succumb to a killer.
Source: I received an e-arc of this book via Edelweiss in return for an honest review. Thank you to HMH Books for Young Readers for letting me read it!

(For this review, I decided to divide the things that stood out to me and put them under headlines describing the topic.) 

This book was . . . incredible. Scary. Inspiring. It wasn't light, fluffy, or easy to read. It was packed with powerful messages of strength and inner beauty. It's a story worth every second of your time. 

GREAT HERO 

I loved how Nick was just an average guy. I loved how Cheryl Rainfield made him overweight and unpopular because not a lot of authors do that. He didn't look like the typical "hero," but this book shows that any guyregardless of whether he is overweight or muscular, a good drawer or a good athletecan become a hero because it's the inside that counts, the compassion, loyalty, and the heart that he possesses. 

SCARY READ

Give me ghosts. Give me bloodthirsty vampires. Give me whatever other scary thing in a book, and more times than not, I won't say it's scary. Those things aren't real. Now, this bookthis is the scary type. The things in this book are possible. They have happened. People get abducted, killed, raped, abused all the time. It's a very real topic, and although this book isn't a traditionally scary book, it contains much, much scarier things in it than fictional ghosts and paranormal creatures. 

GREAT FOCUS ON STRENGTH 

One of the biggest points of this story is strengththe strength to keep living, to keep pushing, to keep thinking positive in adversity. Sarah definitely pushed through. She never truly let anyone get to her and she was always able to stand up and do what was right. She was always strong, even though she didn't use to think of herself that way. She was always beautiful, regardless of her port-wine stain. She's definitely an inspirational character and I think many people would love her resilience. It was one of the greatest things about the book. 

OVERALL 

It reminded me of the thrillers or crime dramas I've seen on tv, especially towards the end. Stained was a really quick read that had my eyes burning with threatening tears for at least quarter of the book. It was definitely worth the read, and I highly recommend it to anyone who can handle books focused on and containing abuse.

6 comments:

  1. I'm so happy that you liked this! I read it a bit back and absolutely adored it as well for all the reasons you listed for yourself. I plan on reading more by this author. Do you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may read her book Scars. It looks like a good one.

      Delete
  2. This is a great review! I love your review style, it's straight to the point of what you liked about the books. I haven't read a thriller in a really long time, so I'm definitely going to check this out!! Thanks for stopping by my blog!!

    Kathy
    My Nook, Books & More

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I try to make my reviews as direct as I can make them.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you liked this book, Kaitlin! I've seen it around a few times, and wasn't sure whether to read it or not. But judging by your review, it seems to be really good :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a really, really good book! I do hope you'll read it sometime. :)

      Delete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.