Wednesday, November 20, 2013

The Prophecy Blog Tour ~ Interview with Erin Albert!

Welcome to this stop on The Prophecy tour! I'm excited to share a short excerpt of the book as well as a great interview with Erin with all of you. I hope you enjoy this stop on this tour and I hope you'll check out the other stops (here's the tour schedule) on it as well as mine. 


Back Cover:
Growing up on a small farm in the kingdom of Vanguard, seventeen-year-old Layla Givens lives a deceptively tranquil existence. But her carefully constructed life quickly falls apart when she’s abducted by a religious zealot who proclaims her The Fulfillment of an ancient peace prophecy and whisks her away to marry her greatest enemy.

Wilhelm, Prince of the Ethereals, is reluctant to meet his new bride. He's grown up believing Vanguards are evil, an enemy to fight and fear...not love. Can he set aside his prejudices and work alongside Layla to bring lasting peace after centuries of war?

Nash, a loner who has never fit in, carries a huge secret, one big enough to destroy both kingdoms. When he accidently meets Layla, he’s no longer content to live in the shadows, but he must resist his growing attraction—for her safety and for the longevity of the two kingdoms.

When Nash's secret is revealed, a firestorm sweeps through both realms, with Layla at the center. Now she must choose between duty and desire while the fate of two nations hangs in the balance.
Excerpt
********************************************************
            Even though she had no chance to escape now, Layla shoved the Elder with all her might. The blow sent him flying into the baker’s door, which splintered under the force, and she darted forward. The Vanguard soldiers moved to block her.
            “We are all Vanguards,” she pleaded. “Please let me go.”
            For a moment, they hesitated. Layla used the opening to slip around them. She ran as fast as her legs would carry her, but they proved to be too slow. Within moments, the soldiers leapt upon her, knocking her to the ground. Wrenching Layla up by her hair, they dragged her back to the Elder, whose face now bled from his encounter with the baker’s door.
            “I see you’re going to be trouble.” He brushed the dirt off his robes. “You can’t escape your destiny, girl.”
********************************************************

Thank you for answering my questions, Erin! I’m looking forward to reading The Prophecy.

Hi Erin! Thank you for letting me interview you! First of all, can you describe The Prophecy for me using only one sentence?
Thank you so much for hosting me!! I’m glad to be here! *waves* 


The Prophecy is a fast-paced YA fantasy novel set in the war-torn lands of Vanguard and Etherea where supernatural powers and complex romantic entanglements meet under the oppression of archaic doctrine.  (That’s from my query letter.)
What inspired you to write your book?
I’m not sure I can point to any one thing that inspired my book, but it’s heavily influenced by George R.R. Martin’s Game of Thrones and Arthurian legend.
I really like the crests for the Vanguards, Ethereals, and Ecclesiastics. What is the significance behind the way each one is designed?
Thank you! My friend and Dream Team member Danielle Craver designed them. She’s really into symbolism and meaning. 

Vanguard: First of all, the color…red is a powerful color, and the Vanguards are powerful people. All of the symbols on the crest point to strength, which is the Vanguard supernatural gift, and combat.  The Vanguards are more violent and hot-headed than their Ethereal counterparts. Danielle said the short answer to this question would be: a symbol of strength and combat, especially in women.

Ethereal: The Ethereals possess the ability to control minds, so most of the elements symbolize persuasion. I can’t reveal the meaning behind the lightning bolt yet because it might reveal information that appears in the other two books. But we selected blue for the calmness of the color.  The Ethereals are very laid back in comparison to the Vanguards.

Ecclesiastics: The colors relate to the words of the prophecy. Since the Ecclesiastics are the religious organization for this world, the moon and eye elements relate to the spiritual realm.  
What methods do you use to get yourself in the writing mood?
I like listening to inspiring music, talking to inspiring people, and eating inspiring food—namely chocolate. ;)
What are your writing habits like?
Because of my schedule, I usually only have about an hour to two hours to write. I try to get in a chapter a day.  I typically write in my bed or on the couch, and I must have a container of chocolate and a Diet Pepsi with Lime at some point in the process (around 3:30pm).  
Do you think you’ll branch out and write in genres other than fantasy?
Yes, I already have a completed adult historical fiction novel as well as a futuristic thriller (I love sci-fi), a middle-grade coming-of-age story, and an adult chick lit in the works.  I read a wide variety of genres, though YA and historical fiction are my favorites.  
 Three’s a Crowd (AKA the fun round)
Tell me three of your favorite . . .

Fantasy books
Games of Thrones series, Infernal Devices series (is that fantasy or paranormal?), Graceling
Songs
It’s Your Love by Tim McGraw and Faith Hill, My Immortal by Evanescence, and I Will Survive by Gloria Gaynor.  How’s that for eclectic??  ;) 
Authors
Rick Riordan, George R.R. Martin, Richelle Mead
Movies
Tombstone, The Proposal, Star Trek
Words
Ridonkulous, love, ba-donk-a-donk
Book boyfriends
Percy Jackson, Jem Carstairs, Adrian Ivashkov
Thanksgiving dishes 
Cranberry sauce (most favorite), mashed potatoes, and chocolate chip pumpkin bread
Thank you for answering my questions, Erin! I’m looking forward to reading The Prophecy.

Erin Albert is an author and fitness trainer. Since she picked up Morris the Moose Goes to School at age four, she has been infatuated with the written word. She went on to work as a grammar and writing tutor in college and is still teased by her family and friends for being a member of the "Grammar Police." In her free time, Erin enjoys acting, running, kickboxing, and, of course, reading and writing.

Find me online:


Twitter:  @ErinAlbertBooks


Website  


a Rafflecopter giveaway

4 comments:

  1. Woop! Fist bump on Rick, George, movies, words, but especially on music! To that a HUGE fist bump! Have to say, everytime I see the crests I think what a great job Danielle did on them. You are rockin' the blog tour and I am totally looking forward to future Erin Albert books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fist bump back, Jay! WOOT! Danielle is so amazing--I am in awe of her work and her dedication! Thank you so much! Big hugs!!! :)

      Delete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.