Monday, November 18, 2013

Top Ten Books I'd Recommend To . . .

Top Ten Tuesdays is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, and a weekly meme where we simply make a top ten list for the week's topic.

I've only done this meme once (a few months ago), but I would like to try it a few more times. And since I thought this week's topic wouldn't be that tough, I decided to make a list!

Top Ten Books I'd Recommend To X Person

I'm dedicating this list of recommendations to a specific blogger. I recently read a review of hers (Meredith @ Pandora's Books), where she said wasn't a big fan of YA contemporary because it was too "rainbows and kittens" for her taste. I'm convinced she has been reading the wrong contemporaries because not many of the contemporaries I love to read are that . . . fluffy. I do consider contemporary to be my favorite genre, and I'm determined to help her (and other reluctant contemporary readers) find a few new books in the genre that she'll love.

I told her I would make a list of recommendations for her, so here it is! These are also recommendations for anyone looking for a good contemporary book to read. 

********************************************************
1
The Fault in Our Stars


This is an obvious recommendation. I cried my eyes out while reading it, and I did it again when I read it for a second time. It's an incredible book.

2
Thirteen Reasons Why

This is anything but a cheerful read. It's so sad, but it's so incredibly good. 

3
Hopeless

Another amazing book. Another really sad one. And the romance is so good. 

4
Eleanor & Park

After I read this book, I finally understood all the praise Rainbow Rowell was getting. It's such a good book. My review (in which I write a lot about the romance) is here.

5
Because of Low


I didn't like this one quite as much as the books above, but I consider it one of my favorites. This also has really good romance. It's an easy and quick read. And . . . it's one of the sweeter ones on the list, but I still recommend it!

6
Jellicoe Road

Beautiful. It's worth reading and thinking about. 

7
My Life Next Door

This is another one of the sweeter books on this list, but I still have to include it. I love the messages conveyed in it. (My review.)

8
The Opportunist

I have a love/hate relationship with this book. It's one of the only books I've wanted to throw at the wall (well, if I had a physical copy). And I'm sure I hated the characters more than I loved them, but . . . I still loved the book and I'm still highly recommending it. It'll remind you more of a roller coaster than a kitten.

9
Beautiful Malice

This one is a YA thriller, and it's a darker read than most of the other books on this list. I don't have for review of it, but Jeann @ Happy Indulgence does! (Go to her review.)

10
Perfect (or any other Ellen Hopkins book)

Ellen Hopkins' books are worth trying at least once. I love them and I love the way they're written. Perfect is one of my favorite ones. (And I have a review! It's one of my earlier reviews, before I started blogging.) I couldn't resist including her books because they remind me of anything but "rainbows and kittens."
********************************************************

Have you read any of these?
What other books would you recommend to Meredith (or anyone else looking for contemporary recommendations)?

What do you do for your top ten list this week?

24 comments:

  1. Great recommendations! I really need to read Jellicoe Road.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should read it! It's a great book. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Yikes, the only one of these I've read is TFiOS! Loved it so much though. And I really need to read Jellicoe Road and Hopeless, since I've heard so much about both. I hope Meredith enjoys these :)

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope she does too. And I hope you'll like Jellicoe Road and Hopeless when you get to them. :)

      Delete
  3. Such a great list - you've got some of my all-time favourites on there!

    I had mixed reactions about 13 Reasons Why, but I have to say it is definitely one of those books you need to read at some point in your life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thirteen Reasons Why is definitely the type of book that would get mixed reactions, so I understood why you did.

      Delete
  4. I Hunt Killers might be a good one to add to this list. Love this idea.
    My TTT
    http://hauntedgravebooks.blogspot.com/2013/11/top-ten-books-i-would-recomend-to.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to read that one! It's been on my tbr for awhile.

      Delete
  5. Totally agree with TFiOS -- I honestly don't know anyone who hasn't love it. The only problem is that it should come with a tissue-box warning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really should come with that warning! Most people I know cried while reading it.

      Delete
  6. Great idea for a theme. Any of the books on this list would show someone that YA can have depth.

    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, YA can have a lot of depth. Thanks. :)

      Delete
  7. Wow really great list! I loved TFIOS, how can you not love that book? Thirteen Reasons Why was also a really great read. I'm hoping to read Hopeless, Eleanor & Park and My Life Next Door soon as well; have heard amazing things. My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are all great books! I hope you like them when you get around to reading them. :)

      Delete
  8. I used to not like contemporary (probably for the same issues Meredith has) but it's recently starting to become my favorite genre, thanks to many books on this list.
    Rachel @ The NerdHerd Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *dances around happily* This is so great to hear! Contemporary is such a great genre and I'm so glad you're liking it a lot better than you used to.

      Delete
  9. Great list. I have nominated you for a Liebster Award because of your continued interesting posts. Drop by to see the history and the requirements on my blog: blogtheeclectic

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, I've only read The Fault in Our Stars. I didn't cry though. O_o

    ~Sophia @ Bookwyrming Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've met quite a few people who didn't cry, so you're not the only one.

      Delete
  11. Thanks so much for this, Kaitlin!!! I'm seriously looking forward to checking these books out! I added a bunch of them to my TBR already!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. SO many good picks! Always happy to see a fan of The Opportunist, that series is one epic mind fuck. My Life Next Door and Hopeless are some of my favorites too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good way to describe The Opportunist. Really good way.

      Delete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.