Thursday, December 12, 2013

Blogger Spotlight ~ Alexandra from Sleeps on Tables

It's my 200th blog post!


Blogger interviews are incredibly fun. I love learning more about my fellow bloggers, and I know many of you do as well. So, I'm going to try to make them a regular feature on my blog from here on out. I've designated Thursdays to them, so if I have an interview to share, you can find it on that day. (I also might have two interviews in separate posts in one day--I get too anxious about exciting posts to keep them scheduled for a long time.)

If you want to be interviewed for a Blogger Spotlight, please go here. I'll send you a series of questions as soon as I can.

********************************************************
Today, I am featuring Alexandra from Sleeps on Tables! I had a great time interviewing her and reading her responses to the questions I had for her.

About the Blogger
Alexandra is a 19 year old third-year mechanical engineering student and book blogger. She started blogging at the start of 2013, and has "made a few great friends through the love of reading." 

Find her at her blog and on her Twitter, @SleepsOnTables


(I added a few responses to her answers in purple.)

Hi Alexandra!

First, describe your blog in three words.

Sporadic. Random. Opinionated.

What makes your blog worth reading?

Sometimes I talk myself in circles or have really slow blonde moment but I’m not blonde. I feel like that can be funny for people. (I know it is for them in the non-Internet life.)

What are you currently reading?

I just bought Not A Drop to Drink by Mindy McGinnis but then I found out that it made it to the final round of the Book Shimmy Awards for the Most Emotional Crippling Ending so naturally now I’m sort of terrified to read it.

Uh oh . . . now I'm a little terrified myself.

Do you have any book/reading quirks?

When I read I get lost. Like I forget to eat and interact with people. I start reading a book and then like six hours later someone is yelling at me to eat some food before I die. Also, I read extremely fast and have a somewhat photographic memory so I can quote books like a boss and open up to the exact page that it’s on without too much flipping.

That sounds so cool! (The memory and the quoting, not the being yelled at to eat food before you die part.)

If you were to create a bucket list for blogging, what three things would you put on it?

I think the obvious one would be to host and interview J.K. Rowling. *sighs* Another one that’s actually achievable is to post more often, like I’m talking two or three times a week, with original post topics. The last one would be to collaborate with other wonderful blogging people because they are the best.

Collaborating is something I want to do as well. It sounds so fun!

Do you ever listen to audiobooks? Why or why not?

I don’t because I’m a big fan of seeing the words and sometimes I tend to space out in conversation so I’m nervous I would miss half of it. But! I haven’t ever listened to an audiobook. I’m an audiobook virgin. An audibirgin? 

:D

What is one of your favorite movies based off of a book?

Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky. It translated so well to the big screen, better than I was expecting. (And Logan Lerman. *sighs longingly*)

That's such a good movie!

You seem to be really busy. What’s some of your advice on balancing your blog with work and school?

Oh my gosh. I am super busy. I’ll admit that over the past 6 months I haven’t been very good at balancing it but after taking a summer that included an impossible engineering class, working one job 40 hours a week, and working another job 20 hours a week, I learned that the worst thing you can do is stretch yourself too thin. Don’t overcommit! I know it’s tempting, but don’t do it.

Yes. That is definitely valuable advice.

Now, time to gush about a book you love.
Pick one of your favorite books/series and answer the following questions about it.

What book is it and who is it by?

Perfect Ruin by Lauren DeStefano

Why do you love it?

It’s so different than anything out there. I’ve read books that are set on the ground, in space, and on another planet but never one set in the freaking sky! Also, it’s a utopian which is so radical and completely opposite compared to all those dystopian books that are out there.

It's set . . . in the sky? Now, I really want to read it.

Why did you pick the book up and read it in the first place?

I wanted this book ever since Lauren announced the deal on Twitter. I think my exact words were: “A utopian!?!? What fresh hell is this!?!?!?!?”

Who is your favorite character from it and why?

My favorite character is Daphne Leander which is so odd because you don’t even really meet her in the book. You learn about her through her essay that is included in bits and pieces at the beginning of each chapter and through the characters of the story. I felt so much for Daphne when I read Perfect Ruin. It’s so perfect and genius that Lauren makes the reader feel for a character who they never meet. It’s like: mind = blown.

Rate the cover on a scale of 1 to 10 (1 = horrible, 10 = absolutely amazing).

10. The jacket is so interesting but my favorite part is the spine underneath the jacket because it’s red and pretty and fantastic.


(spine with the jacket)


 (spine without the jacket)
So pretty!

Thank you, Alexandra, for answering my questions!
********************************************************

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for having me! :D

    Alexandra
    @SleepsOnTables

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was such a fantastic interview! And really reminds me that I need to answer your questions too!
    YOU TWO NEED TO READ NOT A DROP TO DRINK! It may have been a tiny bit emotionally crippling but I was so impressed the author decided to do it! So unexpected and really perfect! (Although I admit I didn't cry... But I think that means I might be cold hearted! Lol)
    And OMG! Collaborating with other bloggers for an event or something is such a fun experience! Right now I'm working on two separate projects with two AMAZING bloggers and am having so much fun! If either of you ever decides to do an event or something and you need either advice or someone to do it with I'm always available! :-)
    And now I'm DYING to read Perfect Ruin. Sadly I bought on my kindle but I think I'll HAVE to buy the hard copy because EEEKKK! SO GORGEOUS! And hearing that Alexandra loved it? Definitely going to read it soon! (Plus like her UTOPIA?! SO COOL!)
    Anyhow this was a fantastic interview and I'm so excited to see more of these Kaitlin! This is a fantastic new feature!
    Nice job to both of you!

    ReplyDelete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.