Monday, December 16, 2013

Novella Review ~ Mine to Tarnish by Janeal Falor

Series: Mine #0.5
Genre: YA paranormal
Pages: 128
Publication date: December 2nd, 2013
Publisher: Chardonian Press
Goodreads Description: 
Katherine’s place is the same as any woman’s—on the shelf next to the dresses and bolts of cloth. When she’s sold to a warlock, life grows even bleaker. Her new owner is as old and rancid as he is cruel, driving her to do the unthinkable: run.

Nothing prepared her for being on her own. And she’s definitely unprepared for the warlocks hunting her down. But she must stay one step ahead because if caught, the best she can hope for is death. 
Source: I received an e-arc of this book from the publisher through Netgalley in return for an honest review.

I think I'm warming up to novellas because I really liked Mine to Tarnish. I usually don't like to read something so short, but sometimes . . . novellas are the perfect length. This one was a very well paced and put together story to accompany You Are Mine, which is a great book that reminded me of a fairy tale. 

One of my favorite things about this novella was the journey. Katherine started out as just another girl in a world where women are treated as complete subordinates to the warlock men. She wasn't happy, though. She wasn't suited for just sitting there and letting others rule her life. The journey she goes on, both the actual, physical journey where she has to run and hide from those chasing her, and the emotional one, where she truly finds the freedom and happiness she deserves, was beautiful. Exciting. Well done. 

Was the novella worth reading? Definitely. While you can still read the Mine series without reading Katherine's story, Mine to Tarnish is still a great story for those looking to read more of a world and a character found in the first book.


My questions for you:

Do you like to read novellas?
Do you think novellas are great parts of book series?

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed the novella Kaitlin! I don't read them much unless they are part of a series and even then they just give me little glimpses into a greater story, I feel like I'm left hanging most of the time. Great review!

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah . . . novella's (and short books, for me) usually leave me hanging. :( It's why I avoid reading shorter books.

      Delete
  2. Yeah I trying to get into the habit of reading Novella's because sometimes they have important information. I think they're somewhat overlooked and forgotten and people assume that they're not important to the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can be really valuable to the story! They can give some more insight and background to characters, like Warner from the Shatter Me books. Destroy Me helped build his character, and I really liked that.

      Delete
  3. I don't like novellas BUT I have read Origin of the Sphinx by Raye Wagner and I really enjoyed it. I received this as an ARC too, but because I typically dislike novellas I haven't read it.
    You should check out https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18052205-origin-of-the-sphinx?ac=1 though, if you're okay with novellas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll keep that novella in mind! Thanks, Mollie. :)

      Delete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.