Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Review ~ The Madman's Daughter by Megan Shepherd

Series: The Madman's Daughter #1
Genre: YA historical fiction/horror
Pages: 368
Publication date: January 29th, 2013
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Goodreads Description: 
In the darkest places, even love is deadly.

Sixteen-year-old Juliet Moreau has built a life for herself in London—working as a maid, attending church on Sundays, and trying not to think about the scandal that ruined her life. After all, no one ever proved the rumors about her father's gruesome experiments. But when she learns he is alive and continuing his work on a remote tropical island, she is determined to find out if the accusations are true.

Accompanied by her father's handsome young assistant, Montgomery, and an enigmatic castaway, Edward—both of whom she is deeply drawn to—Juliet travels to the island, only to discover the depths of her father's madness: He has experimented on animals so that they resemble, speak, and behave as humans. And worse, one of the creatures has turned violent and is killing the island's inhabitants. Torn between horror and scientific curiosity, Juliet knows she must end her father's dangerous experiments and escape her jungle prison before it's too late. Yet as the island falls into chaos, she discovers the extent of her father's genius—and madness—in her own blood.

Inspired by H. G. Wells's classic The Island of Dr. Moreau, The Madman's Daughter is a dark and breathless Gothic thriller about the secrets we'll do anything to know and the truths we'll go to any lengths to protect. 
Source: Bought

This was a creepy, scary, twisty, mysterious, dark, and awesome tale of unnatural experiments, characters, occurrences and how, basically, everything falls to pieces.

It was so good, just as I was hoping. It had a creepiness that I just lovedit made the book memorable and different. The book kept me guessing up through the last page, and some parts scared me quite a bit. And the ending . . . that just killed me. My mouth was literally hanging open in shock when I finished. 


 LOVE TRIANGLE 


Yes, there is one. It didn't dominate the plot, though. I actually liked it a lot. It was interesting to try and guess which one Juliet would pick in the end (because of course, she needs to pick one), which I struggled with. She had strong feelings for both guys, and I just couldn't decide which one was a better fit for her! It was one of the parts of the books that kept me guessing and second guessing. 


 MYSTERY 


I love mysteries! This one had a pretty good mystery tied in with the story, which made it all the more interesting to read. There were several clues in the storythe kind that are kind of obvious after they are pieced together by the main character. I honestly didn't see the conclusion to the mystery until it was practically in my face (meaning: right before/after Juliet made the connections herself). It put a definite twist in the story, and I always enjoy a good twist. Things stay interesting that way. 


DARK ELEMENTS 


Vivisection, death, blood, and unnatural creatures, experiments, and impulses: it all adds up to a very dark and creepy book. While I liked how the author worked with the dark elements and I appreciated how she could write a few scenes that scared me (which is hard to do because books rarely seem scary to me), the book may be too dark for some. It's not for everyone. 


 LIKE A MOVIE IN MY HEAD . . . 


I could practically picture this book as if a movie was playing in my head and I'm attributing that to the vivid descriptions and scenes. I love it when I can develop pictures of the scenes, characters, objects that well in my head, so the fact that I could do that for this book really stood out. 

 "All around, the trees quaked and danced under the falling drops. The noise on the broad jungle leaves was like nothing I'd heard of before, a thousand tiny wagon wheels on a wood-slat bridge. Another second passed, and the few drops turned into a deluge." 
OVERALL 

I always looked at The Madman's Daughter and thought it would be a good book, and I'm so incredibly glad to say that it lived up to my expectations. It was creeptastic. The entire thingfrom cover to coverwas just awesome. It left me wanting more of the characters, the settings, the story, and I am definitely looking forward to continue reading this series in Her Dark Curiosity.


My questions for you:

Creepy novelsyay or nay?
How much do scary books manage to scare you?
Do you like reading books with some mystery to them?

8 comments:

  1. Well, this certainly is my type of book. I've been wondering if I should pick it up, as I wasn't sure if it would stand up to my expectations of dark, creepy, mysterious. And the mention of the love triangle didn't help. But if you say the love triangle doesn't dominate the plot, then I'm in.

    Oh, and a big YAY to creepy novels! :)

    Oana @All Fantasy Worlds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely read it! You may like the romance. :) Don't let my love triangle mention prevent you from reading an awesome book.

      Delete
  2. This book sounds SO GOOD. I've had it on my TBR list for a while, but I just needed a little push to actually be motivated to read it. I'm not sure if I'd ike the love triangle or not, but hey, I've managed to like a few in the past. I don't think I've ever read a creepy book, so I really don't know what to think of them. Great review! (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, so this would be your first creepy book? That's all the more reason to read it! You can try something new. :)

      Thanks, Summer!

      Delete
  3. I LOVED this book! You're right, it was fantastically creepy and dark. I'm so excited for the sequel! :)

    I also see that you're reading The Fellowship of the Ring. I haven't actually read the books, but I absolutely LOVE the movies. I hope you enjoy it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really looking forward to the sequel myself! I hope it's a good one. :)

      The Fellowship of the Ring is going good so far. I mostly read it in class because it's for a class, so it's taking awhile to read.

      Delete
  4. I am currently reading this book and love it so far! As soon as I finish reading it, I will share my thoughts. But to answer your question, I LOVE creepy books. As of late, all I have been reading are books with a dark element to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. Most are no where as dark as this one, but the books I read are have more dark or serious elements than lighter ones.

      Delete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.