Monday, December 30, 2013

Review ~ Ruined by Jus Accardo

Series: The Eternal Balance #1
Genre: NA paranormal
Pages: 325
Publication date: December 30th, 2013
Publisher: Entangled Embrace
Goodreads Description: 
Hell is looking for a way to break loose…

Jax lost the genetic lottery. Descended from Cain, the world's first murderer, he's plagued by a curse that demands violence in exchange for his happiness. He left everything behind, including the girl he loved, but thriving on the pain of others is lonely… And it's killing him.

After a series of heartbreaking losses, Samantha put rubber to pavement and headed for college as fast as her clunker could carry her. But she can't outrun her problems. When an attack at school drives her back home, she's thrown into the path of a past—and a guy—she's been trying to forget.

Sam strains Jax's control over his darkness, but running isn't an option this time. Someone—or, something—followed her home from school: a ruthless monster with a twisted plan centuries in the making. Forced together to survive, and fighting an attraction that could destroy them both, Jax and Sam must stop a killer bent on revenge.
Source: I received an e-arc of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. 

Ruined is a stay-up-all-night read filled with romance, banter, violence, and angry, hot demons. It was pretty good! I admit I was nervous about reading it because I'm wary of the turn most New Adult books seem to be taking lately, but reading this does remind me why I like reading good NA.

ROMANCE

It's a little like a hate-then-love romance, but the "hate" part wasn't so much hate, but more anger. Jax and Sam already had an established connection, so they already had feelings (and were aware of them) when the book began. However, Jax felt like he was too dangerous to Samlike he would end up hurting her badlyand fought those feelings and tried to push them away in order as protection. So, the romance had the banter and the struggle-with-feelings like many hate-to-love romances seem to have, and I loved it! The two had a lot of chemistry, and the struggle with their feelings for each other and other other roadblocks to their relationship kept things pretty interesting.

BACKGROUND

Ruined is demon book. It's one out of many I've read and enjoyed, but what was cool about this book in particular was the Cain and Abel background. Jax was cursed, which meant that there was a demon taking residence in his body his entire life. He grew up with a thirst for violence because the demon was part of him and was under a constant struggle to keep his impulses under control so he wouldn't hurt the ones he loved. I really liked the concept behind the curse and the demons of this book, though I would've liked to see more background to itmore explanation and details in the origination of the curse. Maybe that'll happen in the sequel. The whole Cain and Abel tie-in was really cool, and not something I had ever seen before, and it would be nice to see more of it.

OVERALL

Ruined was a pretty good read. It's probably the only NA demon book I've ever read, which is refreshing. It was nice to read a good, interesting paranormal NA. The romance was a really good oneI liked the couple from the very beginningand so were the concepts. I do recommend it if you don't mind darker books (with a lot of violence and cuss wordslots of them). I liked this quite a bit and I'm looking forward to the sequel!

My questions for you:

Do you like to read NA?
Have you read any good paranormal NA?
Do you like to read books with demons in it?

4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this one too. I loved that is was a paranormal NA because I feel like there are so few of those. Great review!

    Teresa @ Readers Live A Thousand Lives

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There really aren't that many paranormal NA out there. :( It would be nice to see more of them. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. I like books about demons but I haven't read NA yet so I'm not sure whether I want to step into that world! This sounds like a pretty good read though so I might consider reading this one. Great review, I really like the format. Happy New Year's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may like it. It could be your first NA. :)

      Delete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.