Monday, December 23, 2013

Top 10 of 2013: My Favorite Books of the Year!


I decided this event would be really cool to join. I like lists and I like seeing other people's lists! Also, it's nice to take part in at least one end-of-year event, right?

This event is hosted by Two Chicks on BooksMagical Urban Fantasy, and Fiktshun. Thank you for hosting. :)

Today's topic is . . . 

Best Books I've Read in 2013 (Doesn't have to be released in 2013, just a book you've read in 2013)

MY TOP NINE BOOKS OF THE YEAR

From right to left, this is pretty much the order of my favorite books of the year (with The Kite Runner being my second favorite and Sweet Evil being my tenth). It was actually pretty easy to come up with this list, which is . . . odd. 

Each of these books is fantastic in its own way. It's a mixture of some amazing romances, some beautiful, tearjerking storylines, and just plain awesomeness. I won't explain why I put each one on the list, but you can read my reviews of some of them:















































MY FAVORITE BOOK OF THE YEAR

It was remarkably easy to pick my number one book of the year. It was the third book I finished and, now that I think of it, maybe the first full book I read this year. I never got around to posting a review of it online, and I didn't realize it was my favorite until recently. While I was going through the books I read this year to pick out favorites, though, this one stood out as the obvious best—partly because I have a memory attached to it.

Have you ever watched a part of a movie where everything going scarily silent and you knowyou just knowthat some loud noise or some sudden movement is coming? You know it will startle you really badly and, although you are expecting it, you still jump anyway?

Well, something like that happened in this book. I was reading and suddenly, my eyes latched on to a short sentence in a book where there was a sudden, loud noise, and I actually jumped—it was like I had heard it happening. It was just so vivid and unexpected . . . and it's one of the most memorable reactions I've ever had to a book. I can't remember any other book scene startling as much a moment in a movie. Ever.

Partly because of that memory and mostly because it's an amazing book, Hopeless by Colleen Hoover is my obvious favorite book of the year!


Those are my favorites. What about you?

34 comments:

  1. Nice list of favorites. Most of them are new to me, but they sound interesting.
    t's a good thing that this is a list of favorite books because I simply can't pick one for 2013, haha. Some of my favorites for this year are "The Shadow of the Wind" by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, "Eat Pray Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert, "The Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins, and "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak. :)

    Mada @ All Fantasy Worlds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Book Thief is one of my all time favorites! It's an amazing read.

      Delete
  2. OMG I am seeing Hopeless everywhere and slapping myself for not getting to it yet! I absolutely love a lot of books on your list too like Angelfall, Shatter Me, Eleanor and Park and I could go on! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Read Hopeless! It's definitely worth trying.

      Delete
  3. We read quite a few of the same books this year! I loved The Collector, I couldn't stop laughing at Dante's inner monologue. Shatter Me is one of the most beautiful books I've ever read, the writing is just so eloquent and the sequel is just as awesome if you haven't already read it.

    Roxy @ Story Envy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dante made me laugh too. Sometimes, the things he thought or said were so silly. :D The Shatter Me series is one of my new favorites, mostly because of that writing! I loved the sequel and the first novella too, but I decided to leave off more than one book from a series off the list. :)

      Delete
  4. I've read only 3 of the books on your list, I read The Collector & Eleanor & Park this year, I loved E&P, only liked The Collector. I've also read before The Kite Runner & loved it. I still need to read the rest, but they're all on my tbr.

    My Top 10 of 2013 List

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you loved those books! They are amazing ones. :)

      Delete
  5. Hopeless is very popular. There are some here that I need to read. Great list. Come check out my list. You read some very good books.

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome list! Thanks so much for taking part in the Top 10 of 2013! Looking forward to seeing the rest of your Top 10’s :D
    Hugs,
    Jaime @ Two Chicks On Books

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really liked The Collector! And I have Shatter Me and Siege and Storm, but I have not read them yet. Hopeless was AMAZING - probably my favorite New Adult contemporary romance novel of the year :D

    Happy holidays!

    Check out my Top Ten post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always a surprise to see you saying a NA is amazing, so that's a sign it truly is an amazing read. :)

      Delete
  8. We have quite a few books in common in our list!
    I still need to read Hopeless and I'm thinking I'll like it since I read the novella, Finding Cinderella, and liked it a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Finding Cinderella too! It's a great novella to go with Hopeless, and I think you'll definitely like reading that book. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  9. Ohh Shatter Me and Sweet Evil are two books I adore as well. Hopeless is also amazing! Colleen Hoover is one of my all time favorites as well. Great list.

    Teresa @ Readers Live A Thousand Lives

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colleen Hoover is a definite new favorite author of mine. I'm surprised that I've only read two of her books. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  10. I keep seeing Angelfall on these lists. I need to pick it up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't read a lot of your picks, but I want to--especially Angelfall, Sweet Evil, and Hopeless! But I adored Shatter Me, Siege & Storm, and Eleanor & Park! Such great picks. ;)

    Rachel @ Paper Cuts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely try those three books! All three are definitely worth reading!

      Delete
  12. I love your picks.Indigo Spell made my list too.Have you read The Fiery Heart by the way?
    I have Shadow and Bone in my list but I haven't read Siege and Storm yet.I can't bear to read a book without The Darkling,I guess:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read The Fiery Heart last month. I loved it! I just made sure there was only one book from a series on my top ten list.

      Delete
  13. I love your list. Eleanor and Park and Kite Runner are on my want to read list

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to read them soon! Both are amazing reads.

      Delete
  14. I must read Hopeless! I met Colleen Hoover and got her to autograph my books but I have still had to have time to read any of them. Shatter Me, Indigo Spell, and Siege & Storm were some of my favorites as well. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I must agree that Shatter Me and Sweet Evil are definitely on my list. Absolutely love these books. I really want to read Angelfall, The Collector and Siege and Storm.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ahh Shatter Me is awesome but I loved Unravel Me even more :D Same deal with Sweet Evil. And Siege and Storm was so great <3
    Amazing list! Thanks for stopping by mine :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked them. It seems you have good taste in books. :)

      Delete
  17. Can't wait to read Eleanor and Park. My sister recently finished it and told me that yes, the hype was true. Glad to see it made your top 10! I've also heard a lot of good things about Angelfall. Took me long to visit your blog back but thanks for stopping by mine. Happy New Year in advance ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry--I take a long time to respond to comments sometimes.

      Both Eleanor & Park and Angelfall deserve the hype they are getting. Definitely.

      Delete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.