Saturday, December 14, 2013

Unfinished Confessions of One Who DNFs

DNF: 
Did Not Finish

Some people have no problem DNFing a book. Other people make it a practice to power through every single book they read, even if it isn't very good.

But this post isn't about why to DNF or why to not DNF.

It's about my past. My pre-blogging days. The time where . . . I did a lot of DNFing.

I'm not proud of it. It was a bad habit of mine, but thankfully, blogging done a lot to help me get over it. I've only slipped a couple times in the last six months--two, three, maybe even four books. That's definitely better than those dark days where I DNFed books right and left.

It's not that the all the books were bad--it's just, sometimes, I got into reading slumps and couldn't finish the book I was reading . . . or the next one, or even the next. Sometimes A lot of times, I got bored. The book just didn't hold any of my attention. Other times, it was simply because I needed to return the book to the library.

Some of the books I DNF are actually really good. I consider those ones "unfinished." I guess I'm in denial--I don't want to believe that some of the books I've left "unfinished" are technically DNFs because . . . well, DNFs are not supposed to be good books. Why would I not finish a great book? Plus, I actually do mean to finish my unfinished books. Eventually. I can't say the same for "DNFs."

Confession Time

Because most people (at least, I believe) just call all books they don't finish DNFs. No alternate labels. No nicer ways to name them. So . . . I guess, technically, the following books are DNFs, even though I really, really hate don't like grouping them all under the same label.

*This list includes the titles I didn't finish after I started blogging as well as before*

My "unfinished" books
(The ones I want to go back to, though some I'm way more interested in reading again than others)


DNFs
(The ones I don't intend to finish)




Double DNFs!
(The ones I tried twice, but still couldn't manage to get through.)




DNFed first time, loved the second time


(These two are proof that rereading a DNF can be a good decision.)

Okay, okay. I think that's enough books . . . I told you I've DNFed a lot of books.

I know, many of you are wanting to yell at me about a book with a certain blue mask on it, but I'll get to it.

A Little Discussion

Sometimes, when I DNF a popular book, I want to go back and read it again simply because I've heard amazing things about it or its sequel. For example: Legend. I stopped reading that book within the first fifty pages (probably within the first twenty, actually), because nothing about it interested me. Similar things happened with Ella Enchanted, Dark Inside, and Strange Angels, but because I don't see a lot of hype over those books, I'm not very interested in giving them another try.

Even for those books I liked way more than Legend, part of the reason I want to try them again is because other people have said they're really good. I agree with many people that The Night Circus is pretty darn good, even though I hit a slow spot. I would love to finish that one, but if I hadn't heard so many great things about it, I don't think I would want to get back to it as much as I do. 

The same goes with Daughter of Smoke & Bone. I loved the main character, Karou, the story, and the setting (especially the setting), but the angel guy bored me enough that I lost interest. I do want to try the book again, not just because I think Laini Taylor is a good author, but because a lot of you have told me I would love it or that they need to read it as well.

I know I'm not the only one who does this: DNFs a book, then feels like trying it again because it might be better the second time around. I see many people on Twitter commenting on how they want to try The Hunger Games again (which they either didn't like the first time or didn't even finish), or Vampire Academy or City of Bones. I see many people attempting a book again because it's popular--because so many people tell them that they'll love it.

I can't blame them. As I've already explained, I do the same thing.

Your Turn!

I made my confessions. I explained how I don't call all books I don't finish "DNFs." I listed over 30 books I didn't finish reading at some point. I even switched gears to introduce a small discussion topic on how much hype affects my desire to try a book I didn't finish again.

Now, it's your turn to make a confession to me:

Name one book you've DNFed and why. 
Also, tell me if you ever feel like trying to read that book again.

12 comments:

  1. WOW that's a long list. I hate DNFing a book and especially series! When I start a series I just feel like I must be loyal. The book has to have a really good reason for me to DNF it but sometimes there's not even a reason it just doesn't click with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the ones I've DNFed are second books in a series. :( In most cases, the book just isn't as good as the first, so I can lost interest.

      Delete
  2. I am soo glad that you decided to give Shadow and Bone a shot! It was definitely awesome and I can't wait to read the sequels! As for The Power of Six...I don't blame you for DNF'ing because Marina's POV in that book was reeaaally boring I was tempted to skip hers. I also really want to read Daughter of Smoke and Bone :P

    I agree that hype makes me more reluctant to DNF a book...for example The 5th Wave. I started it ages ago but gaahhh I had a hard time cause it was sooo boring. I was halfway through it when I stopped, but considering that some people said the second half is better...I guess I want to continue it and see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I gave Shadow and Bone another try too! I read the sequel too (which is fantastic), and the series is a new favorite of mine! I think it was Marina's POV that made me stop reading The Power of Six too. It just wasn't interesting.

      I really liked The 5th Wave, but it is pretty slow in the beginning. I can see why people wouldn't finish it or like it a whole lot. (I do recommend finishing it, though. :) )

      Delete
  3. O_O NOOOOOOO!!!! I LOVE ELLA ENCHANTED! The movie was definitely TERRIBLE but the book, soooo good!! Although I guess it is a bit more MGish.... Also really predictable.... Plus really fairytalish but still I loved it....
    Okay moving on. I totally get you with the whole DNFing thing.... I RARELY DNF but a lot of times when I'm reading sequels I read a bit and then put them down and plan to go back to them but just don't..... Someday I will though! Lol!
    The ones you are DNFing for good (except Ella Enchanted) I can totally get. I've read some of them and just... Not for me!
    Although I really recommend going back to Legend. It has a slow start but the rest is so good!
    And ummm.... I totally DNFed Shadow and Bone too.... *guilty admission* I'm halfway through and I could just never get into it.... Maybe I'll try again!
    Don't worry about DNFing though. I don't think that it's really worth it to read a book that you're just not enjoying. (This is advice from someone who powers through everything... Ugh!)
    Good luck with trying to not DNF quite so often! And great post! It's interesting to see what captures some people and not others!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am your opposite in Ella Enchanted . . . I loved the movie! Anne Hathaway has been one of my favorite actresses for a really long time, so I like pretty much every one of her movies. I tried the book way after watching the movie a lot, so I really didn't like it. Also, I don't like reading MG very much (I have exceptions, though).

      Thank you!

      Delete
  4. Neil Gaiman's American Gods and Stephen King's The Drawing of the Three. For both of these, I just kept plugging along until I just. . .didn't. I don't have any real reason for stopping, and I didn't even really dislike them. I just stopped caring enough to keep turning the pages. Maybe I will give both of these another chance. Lots of people I know that have read them think I will really like them once I finish them. But until then, I have plenty of books I actually want to read to keep me busy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are definitely plenty of other books to read!

      Delete
  5. I used to DNF all the time, too, most of the time within the first chapter. But, since blogging unless it really, really, makes me want to stab myself in the eye, I'll struggle through with it. Ahh there should definitely be another name for the one you just haven't finished yet, because they are totally two different things. I've left a few unfinished because I forgot about one that I had to review. I started reading Daughter of Smoke & Bone when it first came out, but it wasn't holding my attention, though fairness to it, I had a shorter attention span then... and I do plan on reading the series. I know a lot of people who really liked the Strange Angels series, but I couldn't get through the first one, I tried, but no.

    So my confession? Hmm, let's see. The Hunt by Andrew Fukuda. Too stupid. Drawn out chapters. Supposedly being one of unknown number of humans left among a sea of vampires you're trying to hide from. You..."Don’t Sweat. Don’t Laugh. Don’t draw attention to yourself." I'm just like...Don't make sense. Then there's that closet scene with what seems like elbow sex? Did I mention too stupid? Okay, I'm done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Hunt seems like a definite DNF for you. :D That's how I feel about the books I DNF, but I think much more positively of the ones I just leave unfinished. You're right, DNF and uninfinished books are two completely different things.

      Delete
  6. I'm the opposite. Even if I don't like the book that much, I still keep on going until the last page. I only remember one book that I didn't finish - Ulysses by James Joyce. But, I'm very selective in choosing the books I read. There are just too many great books out there for us to be wasting time with not so good books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been a lot more selective in my books since I started blogging. I have a lot of books to read, and like you said, I don't want to waste my time with books that I don't like very much.

      Delete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.